The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Size Matters
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the forecast for light winds, Marty and I had many options of where to fish today. We considered several factors and picked a weedy lake known for big fish and it's proximity to Marty's favorite restaurant. Not sure which one was the deciding factor.:laugh:

As we spoke he was telling me about a new bait he was making with was yielding a lot of bites but trouble with the hookups. My story was that I was using my own secret bait and not missing fish at all. Game on. Of course we had to reveal our secret bait to each other as we were spending the day in the same boat.

The weeds seemed to have suffered from that hot spell we had earlier this Summer as they were nowhere near as lush as our last trip there. The light winds were directionally favorable all day as they changed direction mid day and gave us a nice drift both ways. Water temps 78.

After putzing around for a brief time at a couple of so-so spots Marty headed for his first "A" spot. It was apparent right away that this might be my day for a change when my first bite yielded this 5 lbs 13 oz Jumbo.

and he "only" got a 4 pounder which I can't show as the photo reveals the bait.

I commented that I would be happy if that where the only fish of the day for me and that almost came back to haunt me as I went a long time until my next bite.
Marty continued with his and after a while I started to call it his M_F_ bait not because those are his initials and he handpours them but because of the exclamation out of his mouth every time he missed a fish. He was getting the more violent strikes but even when he gave them plenty of time to get the bait in the mouth he came back more often than he liked without a tail on his bait and without a fish.:laugh: With my bait I was getting fewer and softer strikes but better hookups.

Still he was getting some and I was not until another "A" spot gave up a second Monster at 5 lbs 12 oz. We weighed this one both scales as it sure looked like a Six.

Marty countered later with another 4 lber

The end result was that he got way more bites, more fish and some good fish but I got the two Jumbos so Round One to JIM

JIM

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
I`m not into this rowing scenario anymore, & am tired of guiding.:laugh: Back to the 1000 Islands for me. I just bought 10 packs of Jims secret baits.:laugh: However I will keep making mine as they got lots of bites, but got tired of coming back with 1/2 baits all the time. Maybe my Pikie friends will like them.
My wife told me it poured rain down here in Queens. We had bright sunshine all day where we were. Burgers & Fries at the Blazer topped off the day. Can you ask for anything more? NO KIDS EITHER!!:yes:

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Marty, nice job putting Jim on fish its about time he got a few good ones. also so much for the secret bait that I showed you, guess you couldn't keep it secret for that long.
Your secret bait lost to Jim`s secret bait which I`m not allowed to tell you what it is.:laugh::laugh: For everybodies information. Jim has been catching a lot of quality fish recently. Just hasn`t been posting. He hasn`t given up on his side cheating unit just yet, but has finally figured out that fishing & catching is better than exploring.:laugh:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Your secret bait lost to Jim`s secret bait which I`m not allowed to tell you what it is.:laugh::laugh: For everybodies information. Jim has been catching a lot of quality fish recently. Just hasn`t been posting. He hasn`t given up on his side cheating unit just yet, but has finally figured out that fishing & catching is better than exploring.:laugh:
Not so sure there Marty.... one or two more months of rowing around and "Explorer" Jim will have fully detailed contour maps at 1 foot intervals of just about every reservoir out there.... once he has those - he'll know all of your secret spots!!! LOL!!!

J.

·
Weights&Measures
2,196 Posts
It wasn't my bait that lost to Jim, YOU did haha.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Not so sure there Marty.... one or two more months of rowing around and "Explorer" Jim will have fully detailed contour maps at 1 foot intervals of just about every reservoir out there.... once he has those - he'll know all of your secret spots!!! LOL!!!J.
Thats incredible..what program Jim..?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts