The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always mean to get out on Schroon Lake to do some bass fishing each summer, but never actually hit the water, havent been on the lake since I was a little kid. I dont remember us catching a heck of alot but again I was a little kid and have come a long way since the old bobber and worm. Heard mixed reports on this lake too, always looking to get on a new body of water. What is the deal with Any major features to key on...

·
Registered
468 Posts
hate to be negative but its prolly the worst fishing lake ive ever been on. from the looks of it ud think thered be tons of fish. but there isnt a large enough bait supply to grow fish. the lower boat launch area has some nice lilly pads on the right hand side. if you travel on the eastern shore there are some nice weed beds in 30 feet of water. and then i recommend going to the top portion of the lake where a stream comes in. but again if you can fish any other lake i would reccommend doing so. i know there are supposedly good lake trout in there. the schroon river below the dam has tons of trout and hold over trout too if your interested. hope this helps

trav

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've also been up that way a few times every summer but never end up fishing Schroon Lake. I'm also curious to hear if anyone thinks it is worthwhile...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Schroon Lake is an excellant smallnouth lake but can be very tricky to fish when the summer heats up. During end of May and the month of june the smallies are closer to shore and much easier to find and after June you need to find them in the abudent deep water areas. There is an excellent state launch at the south end and a smaller town launch at the north. If fishing in the mid summer on the weekends hit the launches early because this is a very popular recreational lake. Our club has one of its own tournies there every year and the weights always reflect the time of season. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dont come please, more fish for me! I kid, I kid....

I couldnt disagree more with the guy that said its the worst fishing lake hes been on. Now its no Lake George but i put up good numbers depending on the time of day, I have fished the middle of the afternoon during the dog days of summer and have still caught good fish. There are certain spots that look good but are really dead but ill let you find that out for yourself. I might just be biased cause its where i fish every single weekend due to a family camp, but its a decent spot when you put your time in and find spots that produce like we have. Good luck if you go! You'll see me out there if its a weekend.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have caught good LM and SM on Schroon. It's not a numbers lake but they have some quality. Fish the Lily pads anywhere on the lake and be patient, plastics are a good start and you need to let them sit for little longer than usual. I'm hoping to talk the club in to doing a Tx. on Schroon this summer. Brothermoose, your welcome to fish as a guest if your interested, great guy's in the club that will give you a good day on the water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have caught good LM and SM on Schroon. It's not a numbers lake but they have some quality. Fish the Lily pads anywhere on the lake and be patient, plastics are a good start and you need to let them sit for little longer than usual. I'm hoping to talk the club in to doing a Tx. on Schroon this summer. Brothermoose, your welcome to fish as a guest if your interested, great guy's in the club that will give you a good day on the water.
Thank you, keep in touch!

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra
1,841 Posts
I'd like to get up there for some Spring smallie fishing sometime....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Schroon Lake is an excellant smallnouth lake but can be very tricky to fish when the summer heats up. During end of May and the month of june the smallies are closer to shore and much easier to find and after June you need to find them in the abudent deep water areas. There is an excellent state launch at the south end and a smaller town launch at the north. If fishing in the mid summer on the weekends hit the launches early because this is a very popular recreational lake. Our club has one of its own tournies there every year and the weights always reflect the time of season. Good luck
What is the name of your club? I’d like to inquire …

·
Registered
185 Posts
At the time of the post I was fishing with the Washington County Bassmasters club. I picked up many other obligations for my free time and have not fished in a club for years. Everything I stated in my post still goes and one other point is I actually grew up a mile from the lake and am quite familiar with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts