The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked to people about Schroon, as a fishery over the years, and I've been going there for over 10 years. Fishing it casually, up until this year when I fished it for real . . .When I was there in the Late Spring I did quite well . . . This was a different lake, I don't pretend to know anything about this lake, between the blue bird skies, low/low evening temps (Low 50's even high 40's over night), very bright/clear moon, I knew there were factors working against me, just not like this. If I got 7 total bass, I'd say that be a good estimate. Over 3 mornings and 2 dusk trips, it was like pulling teeth out there. I had hope this morning, but was skunked in 3 hours of fishing and not just skunked totally dead, not even a bite or a bass sighting. I'll be back in the fall and hoping the tide has turned in my favor.

What I've found out about this lake is, there seems to be "pockets" of just a few lone bass, but finding them is tough because they are sooo small and the lake is pretty big, large areas are completely barren IMHO. I saw some pike, but wasn't targeting them.

I did bag some "descent" fish. Pics attached, but had to grind it out for each one of them. Any experience on Schroon is always most appreciated. I hope to one day unlock this mystery. Most were caught in 15 feet of water. 1 smallie was in 12 inches of water.

Did anyone else struggle this weekend or am I alone???

Attachments

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
You got the name of the Lake wrong. Scrooge Lake. Here`s a tip. Take out the Smallmouth & plant sopme milfoil. In 5 years it will be full of Largemouth.:laugh:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Was up in the dacks' since Friday... Was out Friday with my pops and he torched me, and then did some lake hopping in the region and smashed them yesterday. Mixed bag of smallies, largemouth and one toothy 7 pounder.... Have fished Schroon in the past and struggled to get things going, keep at it, your not alone out there on that lake. It is frustrating to locate fish this time of year. I caught most of my fish on drop shots in 15-25 feet of water in other bodies of water.

·
Volunteer for Life
861 Posts
For what it's worth, two of my clubmates fished Schroon and Brant the same days you were up there ... and said they struggled terribly. They would never go back based upon the results, which they estimated at 5 keepers one day, 7 the next, and 3 the last.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it was a tough weekend on Schroon for sure, I appreciate the insight. Unfortunately I don't really have a choice since my family owns property on the lake. I'll keep fishing it, just seems like Aug. isn't the bass month up there. I began seeing lone fish arches out in like 35-50 feet of water, its just crazy. I'm gonna take another ride up in the fall sometime and hoping for better results.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
OK , here is what I have discovered , when we call a lake our home lake or in my case associated one of my favorite lakes with that of my screen name . The jinx was put on all the success turning it to just suck in excess . Seriously what you have to maybe consider is what works at one period of the season will not work as well in another . That goes for lure, lure presentation , retrieve speed , cadence how we work a lure as well at what section within the water column we are targeting bass.

I have watched bass held up over structure and targeted them with jigs, crank bait , shaky head , weighted large curly tailed worm and nothing . Watched a fellow nybasser come on that same spot and watch bass following bass over the side , Asked what was working and noticed he was drop shot . A technique I never give much time toward . My point , it may be just trying something you never really are comfortable doing.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do believe that I just need to keep fishing it and I'll be on them, keep exploring, I know some areas that hold bass for sure, I sometimes feel like I'm forcing the fish to be in certain areas because its convenient for me or it appears they should be there. Schroon Lake's north End holds bass, its just about a 20 min. ride up there so its a commitment to fish that side of the lake for me. I'll see what the Fall yields and report back. Always willing to try new things, its just a matter of committing to them, feast or famine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.