The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suffolk County Bassmasters fished a Tournament at Whaley Lake last Saturday fro 6:30am to 2:30pm again under a Hot Sun that made fishing Very difficult. By about 9am you felt like your brains were being fried! However it did not take long to put a five (Whaley) limit in the live well. A Whaley limit consists of 12 to 13 inch fish.

If you are familiar with Whaley it is a beautiful little lake in Holmes, NY which is known for its 20 to 40 bass per day. On Saturday my fishing partner Kevin put 4 bass in the Live well before I caught my first 12" bass. We both had small limits by about 9:30 am. At one point in the afternoon I had 5 fish in a row before Kevin caught one! .

The fishing was slow probably due to a "cold Front" that came through a couple of days earlier. One of the other local fisherman told us that we should have been there last week when he caught 4 an 5 pounders!!!

Everyone had those Whaley Limits but one SCB Member had his limit by 8:30am fishing from the back of Bill Kohler's boat that consisted of 2lb fish. This member is Kurt W. who is one of the really nice, quiet members of our club. He works his lures behind Billy and catches the fish that Billy misses (which isn't much)

However on Saturday Kurt worked his Magic and showed all of the rest of us that he is also very capable of winning Tournaments. So as a result Kurt won the Tournament and a Star was born!

This was deep weed fishing and Bill Kohler is an expert at this so for Kurt to win from the back of Bill's boat was a major accomplishment. Now that he has figured out the deep weed bite watch out SCB Members. Congrats Kurt on your win - I know that you really had to fish hard to win.

Whaley results for the top Three are as follows:

1 St place Kurt W 5 LM 10lbs 10.5oz
2 Nd place Kevin K 5 LM 9lbs
3 Rd place Bill K 5 LM 7lbs 15oz

Frank K

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep it up through the night tournaments

SCB Fishes Night tournaments during August. These are Team Tournaments which is safer than Individual Tournaments. You only need to put 5 Bass per team into the live well. We also fish at night during August because it is usually to hot to fish during the day

Our first night tournament is at East Twin Lakes in CT on 8/10. The hours for this TX is 4pm to 12am. This is a long drive so we all should take an afternoon nap!

East Twin used to have lots of Grass and was great fishing - the Grass is mostly gone but the fishing is still great especially at night. I have seen 3-4 Bass over 6lbs caught in our tournaments there. Two of those bass were caught by me. One was 6 3/4lbs so I am really anxious to fish this Tournament.

If Kurt fishes E. Twin the same way he fished Whaley he should do very well.

Our next night Team Tournament is at Candlewood on 8/24 from 5pm to 1am - Can't wait for that one also. The Thomasine's had a Fantastic limit there. Candy also has the ability to give up 5 and 6+lb Bass. I know where one of those Bass lives and I sure hope that he is Home and Hungry. LOL

Frank K

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.