The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after many trips up to the Saranac Lake area. i have decided to finally take my boat. we always get off and head trough the twin peaks area. Is there another route that will be easier on the blazer hauling the boat OR is this the best way and i shouldn't be a sissy!!!!

thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been making the trip trailering a boat up to Upper Saranac on a regular basis since 1986. The stretch between the Northway exit 30 thru the high peaks and Lake Placid can be a bear w/ the steep winding hills, the 25 mph speed traps, and the traffic in and around Lake Placid. Other than off-season, I've stopped taking that route all together.
Here's the alternate route that I usually take: Get off the Northway @ exit 23 and head north on route 9 thru Warrensburg. Outside of town take the left onto route 28 north and follow along the Hudson river thru North Creek & Indian Lake (route 30 joins in w/ route 28 in Indian Lake) all the way to Blue Mountain Lake. Bear right @ the TEE continuing on route 28/30 north past the Adirondack Museum to the light @ Hoss' General Store in Long Lake. Turn right @ the light and continue north on route 30 thru Long Lake all the way to Tupper Lake. At the light where routes 28 and 30 split, turn right on route 30/3 (East Park Street) and continue thru town. If your headed to USL Route 30 will be a right turn that will take you past the Wawbeek, Saranac Inn, and the airport. If you're headed to LSL, MSL, or the town of Saranac, stay on route 3.
This alternate route will have more gradual hill climbs, far less traffic, more passing zones, and (other than the bridge in Long Lake) no speed zone issues. The leg from exit 23 to Saranac takes me about 90 minutes w/o stops.
If you're considering getting off @ exit 29 and taking the back route thru Newcomb .... don't. We took that route earlier this year (just to do something different) and the roads were in terrible condition. There were so many potholes I thought that my teeth would rattle out of my head.
We were on USL the first two weeks of July ... the pike were flat-out annihilating War Eagle double-willow spinnerbaits w/ white painted blades (color: coleslaw), so much that I had to have Tackle Warehouse overnight some fresh ones mid way thru our stay. We were slow-rolling them deep in 20 to 25 FOW and the hits were like your bait snagged on a passing car! Good luck up there.

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks

I've been making the trip trailering a boat up to Upper Saranac on a regular basis since 1986. The stretch between the Northway exit 30 thru the high peaks and Lake Placid can be a bear w/ the steep winding hills, the 25 mph speed traps, and the traffic in and around Lake Placid. Other than off-season, I've stopped taking that route all together.
Here's the alternate route that I usually take: Get off the Northway @ exit 23 and head north on route 9 thru Warrensburg. Outside of town take the left onto route 28 north and follow along the Hudson river thru North Creek & Indian Lake (route 30 joins in w/ route 28 in Indian Lake) all the way to Blue Mountain Lake. Bear right @ the TEE continuing on route 28/30 north past the Adirondack Museum to the light @ Hoss' General Store in Long Lake. Turn right @ the light and continue north on route 30 thru Long Lake all the way to Tupper Lake. At the light where routes 28 and 30 split, turn right on route 30/3 (East Park Street) and continue thru town. If your headed to USL Route 30 will be a right turn that will take you past the Wawbeek, Saranac Inn, and the airport. If you're headed to LSL, MSL, or the town of Saranac, stay on route 3.
This alternate route will have more gradual hill climbs, far less traffic, more passing zones, and (other than the bridge in Long Lake) no speed zone issues. The leg from exit 23 to Saranac takes me about 90 minutes w/o stops.
If you're considering getting off @ exit 29 and taking the back route thru Newcomb .... don't. We took that route earlier this year (just to do something different) and the roads were in terrible condition. There were so many potholes I thought that my teeth would rattle out of my head.
We were on USL the first two weeks of July ... the pike were flat-out annihilating War Eagle double-willow spinnerbaits w/ white painted blades (color: coleslaw), so much that I had to have Tackle Warehouse overnight some fresh ones mid way thru our stay. We were slow-rolling them deep in 20 to 25 FOW and the hits were like your bait snagged on a passing car! Good luck up there.
i know that rt 28 - that sounds good! i have spent a lot of time in warrensburg -- next time you go up if you go straight after the rt 28 turn-off for about 3 miles there is great smoke house - lots of great stuff to add to the trip menue and a day on the boat! also a little bit farther up there is a GREAT outdoor store that has tackle - camping and hunting stuff (pretty good prices)

if your not in a real big hurry both are worth the stop!

(JUNE & OCTOBER) we fish st regis and spit fire - both really great pike and smallie waters and NO HECTIC crowds and boaters - we also fish LSL we stay at Ampersand Bay Resort - the newer buidlings are pricy BUT they have some older cottages that are cheaper and have all you need including a gas grill and outside table! - they are right on the water and the marina is great! and I like that LSL is forest so not built up! - they have small boats for rent also!

thanx again
http://www.oscarsadksmokehouse.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.