The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Shimano Caenan has sand in it after I laid it down on a beach. It won't cast properly now. What's the best way to go about cleaning it in this scenario?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
lesson learned......don't lay your reel in the sand.......try washing it with a hose for a few minutes......then time to take the whole reel apart and clean it.....complete tear down indeed

·
Registered
590 Posts
will need a complete tear down, I have used canned air(for cleaning key boards)to blow the sand out then washed it down with light sewing machine oil then blew off excess and then re oiled and assembled .

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This happens to me with my caenan all the time. Just rinse the reel really hard with fresh water for about a minute and get every spot. I there is still sand, open up the reel and take the spool out and clean with a paper towel and water.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had a big breaker come in and take down a surf rod I had standing in a holder on the beach....horrible. Took a half a day to clean it. Brake clean works well to get all the sand and old grease off the parts.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
I have a 7 Foot MH Duckett, do you fish in Massapequa ever?

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll definitely tear it down.
Yep. I was the guy in waders next to you those few weekends! Adam right?

Welcome to NYBass.com! This is where I meet awesome fishing buddy's and teachers when I started out! Troll these forums for all the great info and tips! Anytime you wanna hit Mass, shoot me a PM and we can exchange numbers! I haven't been there since I saw you last, nor had a bite there since late May...
You'll also note most blur out the back grounds of their spots so no one else goes there! I know that spill well from anywhere lol! Don't worry, I did it too at the start! :p

Sorry to derail thread again but yeah, 10 out of 10 say to break down and clean that bad boy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts