The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone. I normally don't like throwing out questions like this but I am getting pretty frustrated. I am in the Marine Corps and just got stationed in Newburgh NY. I am coming from Jacksonville, NC. Before moving up here, I did the Google map look and saw all these lakes an streams and was very excited. I towed my 16' bass boat all the way up here and found there are very, very few places with boat ramps. So far, the only actual place I found was the Hudson down by Gully's.
I looked through the forums and found comments that the area doesn't seem to be very bass boat friendly. I can understand that some of these small lakes wouldn't want fast boats speeding around all the kayakers and canoes. If I have to troll around, I am fine with that. The problem is finding places to put my boat into. I drove by Orange lake the other day, and the only ramp I found was behind a locked gate. I'm still trying to figure out how to make friends with that group because the lake looks good from what I can tell driving by.
I found a listing online of all the public access in Orange county and let's just say the list of ramps I could use included the only one I have found so far by Gully's. Is it really limited like that here? Are there any good lakes/reservoirs within an hour or so of me that I just haven't discovered yet? Any help you guys/gals can provide to a newly relocated obsessed fisherman would be greatly appreciated. I would even love some company if you would like to join me on the water.
Tight lines!!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Candlewood lake in ct is about an hour from you. I think a lot of the bigger lakes are more upstate. I'm a kayak angler so I just put in wherever. There are plenty if bass boaters here that can help but I think you would like candlewood.

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
whaley lake in holmes ny out rt 55 east is close.lake Mahopac and lake oscawanna are both options also.

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
You have to be a member of some association for orange lake I think.

There's also Copake lake, Swinging bridge, white lake, among others. Check out the NYSDEC website, I think there's a link with some very basic maps.

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
Semper fi!!!

also: in addition to the other suggestions, we have several members of NYBass.com who are residents and fish Orange Lake, perhaps, should one of them see your post, would contact you and give you an invite on their boat....

remember: if you do Candlewood, you must get a CT fishing license....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for all the good info. I would like to add that I would love to fish for any kind of fish. Some days I target catfish and other days I may aim for trout. I just happen to have a bass boat but am in no way limiting myself to just one species. The only real constant is that I am on the water.

Dodgeguy, I looked up those lake you listed (Whaley, Mahopac, Oscawanna) and they all look like viable options that are not too far away for a nice fishing day. They all have public access ramps? They are not listed on the map of public ramps on the DEC website.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Definitely candlewood! Also whaley, oscawanna mahopac are not far. Lillinonah and zoar are just up from candlewood, these are good midweek options, but a little tough fishing. Most of the Hudson creeks have access, wappingers, rondout and Catskill. Get in touch with me through the pms if you want to do candlewood some time. Your boat or mine, don't matter. Btw, most ramps in ny are privately owned on the lakes mentioned. Connecticut lakes you can get on without being charged.

·
WackyRig Making Toolmaker
2,621 Posts
Oscawanna and Whaley are marina ramps @ $25 a launch, Mahopac is $20 at McDonalds marine, like dominic said Candlewood is a free-bee.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome aboard !! As you can see this is a Great way to get info it's just welcome to the Northeast were everything costs a lot more than it should as far as boat ramps and anything else you can think off. There is a place Lake Wawayanda in New Jersey thats free and decent fishing we have our NJ get together there every yr.. Not sure how far you are from there but if you are up to the drive let me know during the week is also OK your boat or mine no difference to me. Also I do know in NJ you have to have a Boater Safety Certificate and maybe NY also the NY guys can let you know for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts