The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a FF with a slot for a memory card you can buy Reefmaster software and download it. It it locates all your tracks according to their individual GPS coordinates. It simultaneously matches them with the depth readings at the track points. You can then, and it is a lot more easily said then done, create a topographic map of the lake bottom. In addition you can add recordings on subsequent trips. The intervals are 1 foot. I found a really good spot on a lake that shall remain nameless and later mapped it. It was a place where the drop off suddenly turned from paralleling the shoreline to heading directly away from it. It formed an inside turn that holds fish. No way I could visualize this without the map. I can now really target the sharpest part of the turn.
pretty neat,

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you're not computer savvy this can be daunting but perserverence pays off. Whether you think you'll not you might want to take a look at the HB side imaging forums site. amazing stuff.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
Probably because the jig thread was self serving, meaning the poster gained some benefit, whereas Ken is simply sharing a review of a product he likes in hopes to help out fellow fisherman. Right, Ken - you have no affiliation with this company, correct?

Why this concept is so hard for people to get is beyond me. The fact that it gets twisted into some perception of "censorship" by forum admins is silly. For what it's worth, that jig company has no intentions of supporting any forum, and have a reputation of spamming, and then bullying forum administration, crying "censorship." They claim to be victims of an internet cover up, lol. It's really sad. Pay for ads, instead of using controversy to gain exposure.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Alright, so that I understand and don't offend anyone... If Bo posts about his NuJig, that's forbidden; if I (having no affiliation to Bo or his NuTech company) post a review about his NuJig that is an acceptable post?

oe

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reefmaster Software

I have no affiliation with either HB or Reefmaster. The HB side imaging forum is a free site through which you can get the Humviewer software which is also free. My purpose is to try and establish a collaborative effort from which all can gain. Incidentally, you don't need SI or DI for Reefmaster. All you need is a FF with a slot for a memory card. It also works on Lowrance.

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
John pretty much got it. The site has sponsors and we try to protect them by not letting non sponsors advertise. Why would you sponsor if you could do it for free. Nujig was spam an blatant ad by a non sponsor. Now this is a fishing site so if a member in good standing wants to talk about or give a review we give some leeway. And I say member in good standing meaning we know you and know your not working for the company just really talking fishing. Because we had new people try it and try to hide their affiliation. Yes it's a fine line and we try to do the best we can, I think we get it right most of the time.

Since we have so many members who have sponsorships and affiliations another exception is we don't mind if a member honestly asks a question I don't mind them identifying themselves and giving an answer. And yes we had this faked too!

I hope that explains some of it and doesn't add to the confusion........lol

p.s. of cause sponsors can advertise and answer questions wish they would more!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only names they mention are HB and Lowrance. There are additional steps required to accomodate Lowrance.
There is a2 week free trial. Once you have transferred your data and made your maps you can then transfer them back to your FF!

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
Back on subject this sure sound like a product perfect for Jim. I also remember another thread on this, is this the only product that does this or is there other software out there that also turns your tracks into 3d maps

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a competing product called dr Depth but the company was acquired and sales were suspended. Navionics has a service for those that use their cards that does essentially the same thing but it requires to effectively constructing to a library available to all navionis customers.
Reefmaster will produce 3d maps too. You really have to let them tell it on their website. You wil not be fully proficient in a weekend or a week but the detail is amazing. It will tell you why the spots that usually produce do.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
based on my own experience I would suggest that if you want to try this that you get data first. Go to the area you want to map and toggle through the views until you get to the screen for images. Press menu and the instruction for recording will come up. there will be a button for ping interval. Set it at one second. Start recording. Try not to let the recording run for more than 1/2 hr. Stop it and start again. You can cruise around and really try to cover the area or just fish. You will miss areas the first time but you can add additional tracks the next time you go. An 8 GB SD card will take hots to fill if not days.
On my last trip the record showed a spot that was like half a hole in a break that was a straight line before and after. This break sloped quickly down from 9 to 16 ft. This spot was cut into the break and dropped very sharply to 16 ft. I couldn't see this except on the map I made.
The two week free trial will go by quickly if you don't have data ready to go.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So now I go out and get to the area I want to map and start recording. When I get home I pit the card I to the pc boot up Reefmaster. I then add the new tracks. My reaction to what I see is always the same. I had no idea that that was underneath me. Points, fllats breaks and vertical drops in some places all 100 yds or more from shore. Caught 6 today at Welch in a little over 3 hrs. Nothing pic worthy but one filled out would have scared the hell out of 3 1/2.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This software goes for $119. There is a similar application which I haven't used in Freeware, You can access this in the Humminbird side imaging forums. I am not a technophobe by any means but I'm not a Geek either. All this stuff is explained in a language in which I have some understanding but I'm not fluent. The assumption all too often with this sort of thing is that I am. It comes but not easily. I start to get a headache after an hour or do. The images however are startling. My experience so far is anecdotal but I'm targeting areas that I had no real concept of what the particular bottom formation was like and I have been catching fish. My suspicion is at least to some extent that I'm fishing where no one else is.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
map

attached Rectangle Slope World Font Geological phenomenon
THis is what I got so far. In the actual app the contour lines are labeled by depth and the screen can be greatly expanded. The cursor will show coordinates as you scroll over the area and you can mark waypoints as you wish. The next step is to transfer this to my FF. It will then show the map under my position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.