The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking through the ‘04 Bass Pro Shops Catalog, I immediately noticed the “red hook” rage among all the manufacturers. Seriously, it’s everywhere you look from hooks to spinnerbaits to crankbaits. Manufacturers are claiming that red hooks can trigger fish to strike !

OK, here’s where it gets really good, take a look at the “Cajun Red Lightnin” line (page 111). The description claims and I quote, “the line’s unique blood red color increases strikes by up to 60%” !!! Imagine that boys and girls....60% more strikes....and to think I’ve been trying to camouflage my line all these years !!!

My question is this: If I can increase my strikes by 60% while using the Red Line alone….what % can I expect to increase my strikes by adding a Red Hook to the Red Line (lol) ??? :p :p :D :D

Perhaps we'll begin painting boat hulls "red" to attract schools of fish (lol) !

Ronnie

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Being that red is the first color to disappear underwater, the red line claim....the line that acts like a lure.....I have some skepticism. I kind of think red hooks aren't all that bad so I think that an influx of themis only natural.

·
Wishin' I'm Fishin'
18,645 Posts
Red Hooks- I have been using the red colored hooks now for over a year, and I find they work fine. I cannot make any claims to 'more' bites or better catches due to them, but I have not seen any diminished number of hits either.

Red line- I have not personally used this, but did fish a week with a guy who had one rod spooled with it, and he was catching fish too, but about the same number or less than me, but I think I am more experienced at angling than him, so I attributed me slightly outfishing him that week due to my longer experience.

Red eyes- I have noticed a diminished attention span when fishing with red eyes.....LMAO...{Further studies required here.}

Red nail polish- I definitely outfished my wife when she was wearing red nail polish and I was not....LMAO....Again, I think my far greater experience had something to do with this finding.

Red fishing rods- Many of my BPS Bionic Blades have a reddish coloration to them and the do seem to work great, so possibly this one may be beneficial. The do seem to work better than my yellow Snoopy rod, so maybe this is a valid claim. I will be purchasing some new rods during "04 to validate or deny this claim. {Further studies required.}

Red clothing- A definite no-no !! [Unless directing road trafffic, trying to get rescued at sea, or the such]. When fishing, I try to wear subtle or camo colored clothing, or colors that match the sky color, so as not to spook the fish visually.

Red hair- No conclusive evidence yet, but...hmm, seems to look good on Nicole Kidman!!
I am more than willing to do further studies on this topic......hmmmm, maybe studies can be done at "Wiggles", or other such places, and this topic may prove costly......LOL:D

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Red

I personally find that red wings make all the difference.

I use Daiichi bleeding hooks when wacky rigging and t-rigging. Maybe it looks like the gills of a fish but I will be spending more on the color red this year. I know my bites were higher.

Wandy

·
Registered
526 Posts
I initially tried using the red Daiichis on my TW baits...But I dont think they do anything different than plain black nickle hooks...Now i just use them because they are very thin and very sharp hooks...

Mark D

·
It's been a long time...
899 Posts
earthworm77 said:
Being that red is the first color to disappear underwater, the red line claim....the line that acts like a lure.....I have some skepticism.
My thoughts exactly. Since a lot of my Smallmouth fishing is done deeper than 15 feet, the "red" craze really wouldn't do me much good. Red "disappears" anywhere from 10 to 15 feet (even shallower with increasing murkiness or staining). Oranges then diminish to gray, followed by yellows. At 30 feet, essentially all that's left are greens and blues, and eventually they will disappear. Again, these are under "gin clear" conditions (and optimal sunlight).

Interestingly, green tube jigs are still the most effective color I have seen for deep Smallmouth on Lake Erie (and elsewhere), and it goes without saying that Erie can be one of the clearest bodies of water around. On a good day, you can see the bottom in 25 feet of water.

Tight Lines...

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Red RED rED

Thanks Craig for noticing.

If red does not make a difference deep than what about in the shallows. Shallow running cranks or fishing the shallows, spinnerbaits might? If it mimics the gills of a fish might it cause some reaction strikes? Again is it fact or fiction? Lets not let this thread get to out of hand.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think I mentioned this before but they stocked them four or five years ago at Northern Bass Supply but they couldnt sell them and pulled them from the shelves. Funny how things get hot.

·
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wild Bill: LMAO ! :D

Ronnie

·
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Red RED rED

Wandy said:
Again is it fact or fiction? Lets not let this thread get to out of hand.
Dave: The only way this thread is going to get out of hand is if you suggest to use a Red Hook with Red Line on a G Loomis Rod (lol) !!! :p :D

Ronnie

·
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bink said:
Funny how things get hot.
Bink: Correction--Funny how marketing makes things hot !!! ;)

Ronnie

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Ronnie

Listen here...I heard that some hooks were getting sent back because the points were not sharp, the finish was coming off and some of the hooks were not straight, especially the trebles! :p

I really enjoyed the conversation and thanks for the info you shared. I look forward to slightly warmer weather and getting on some of these reservoirs. I am going to hold off putting one on until I check out some of the others. Many thanks.

·
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Ronnie

Wandy said:
Listen here...I heard that some hooks were getting sent back because the points were not sharp, the finish was coming off and some of the hooks were not straight, especially the trebles! :p
HAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!! :D :D :D You Got Me !!! ;)

Ronnie

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Seriously

Now knowing that colors are not seen below a certain range than does it also really matter using no vis line below a certain depth as well? I will now restrict my red hooks to shallow bait presentations were it might make more of a difference. Again the empasis is on might. Since the hook and whatever is attached is what the fish will 'see' than I would want to do anything possible to increase my odds that a fish will give it a second look. I might spend more on terminal tackle than I probably would on say rods if I really thought about what would be money well spent AND IF it made a difference.

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
and that, DAVE, is applying excellent fishing logic......that is thinking things through and coming up with logical answers!!!!

now, in reference to the wing thing, although I wouldn't have put it as bluntly as Earthy did, what were you referring to? the side extensions of those creature baits??

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Winging it

John G,

Once in a while logic and reasoning prevail.

In trying to keep this board relatively clean and avoid using scatological language and/or offending the Y chromosome I will defer my answer till another time.

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Craig,

I think I was the culprit with my off color comment but I am happy to pass the guilt along.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts