The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bunch of old or found crankbaits that I would like to reconsititute. They all need trebles but not sure what size to get. Also, at what point does a crankbait go past its prime?

·
Pitchin' Fool
4,397 Posts
Most crankbaits use # 6 trebles and the bigger ones uses # 4.

Gamakatsu and Excaliburs are the ones I use to replace stock hooks.

If the paint job and the lip are intact , no reason why they should not work . Check them out in a swimming pool if tuning is required....

Joe

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you don't know what size hook, you can check Bass Pro Shops' catalog, they show hook size for crankbaits. As to past their prime, I agree with Joe, except I'll take it a step further: even with the paint chipping fairly significantly, they'll still be effective, but I know that there are some anglers who might not have confidence in fishing baits in that condition.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would say that most average size cranks use a #6, but I would also say that it can pay to tinker with that sometimes as well. I usually upgrade the hooks on my shallow cranks up a size. The hooks Joe recommended are top notch, but I would like to add one of my faves:

Mustad Ultra-Point Triple Grips

I know of a few guys in the area who tinker with air brushes, often remnants of days when they were into model/RC cars!! The paint jobs I have redone are usually pretty basic, with just a pearl white with a touch of red under the throat as one of my all-time faves and it does not take much artistic ability either. You can pretty much use cranks until they crack and leak water or the bill breaks off!

ScottB

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great

Just curious Scott. What kind of paints should I use. I'm into recycling as it is so it makes perfect sense for me to keep these in use. Now I am going to have to get an airbrush kit. I already have compressed air.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wandy,

I have a buddy who actually does it for me, but I will pry him for the info as soon as I see him again. I should be bumping into him in the next couple of days. Maybe somebody else here (Craigo :D ), can add to this thread a bit.

ScottB

·
VOODOO CHILE
1,022 Posts
A few tips...

The brush you want is a Pasche VL5 dual action,For the money,the best all around airbrush you can own.It allows you to adjust paint flow and air pressure right from the gun.
Water based acrylic paints are the best to use for a few reasons,not as toxic as lacquer paints so you don't need all kinds of respirators,and the clean-up with just water can't be beat.
It's takes alot of time and patience to become good with the brush but stick with it and what you can make will add alot to your fishing,very cool to catch bass on something you created.

Or you could send'em to me:D
I'll try to take some pics and post'em on here...><>...HS

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here's something I whipped up with a few old cans of Rustolieum I found laying around the garage. :p

ONLY KIDDING!! :p That's some of Hooked Solid's work!! Very nicely done I might add.

I was gonna try and catch a fish with it but it's so damn pretty I couldn't bring myself to throw it in the water!!:)

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats spooky!

I am going to get an airbrush and try my luck/hand at this. What else to do on a rainy winter day.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Solid,

You should post more of your baits on here..."Cookoos" like me would really love to see some custom hardbaits...I heard your work is A+...From the looks of that Spook, I would say you are pretty good...Pretty bait...

And yes, I am a believer that "prettier baits catch the prettier fish"...lol

Asthetic

Mark D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Old cranks

Nice Pix JPBass!! and nice paint job.

I would add a few snap rings (#3) between the bait and the hooks, and tie a flashapoo skirt on the rear treble.

I don't paint old ones I find or abuse, just clean them up, replace the hooks, and fish 'em.

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Guys if you can light a fire under Paul's ass and have him paint up some baits for you, it would be well worth it. He is really good with an airbrush. He's done some baits for me and...well, good job!

·
VOODOO CHILE
1,022 Posts
I got plenty of spark...

earthworm77 said:
Guys if you can light a fire under Paul's ass and have him paint up some baits for you, it would be well worth it. He is really good with an airbrush. He's done some baits for me and...well, good job!
Difference is Craig,the people that actually pay get their baits in due time.The Micromunch "team" gets 'em when I feel like it.
Plus,You can't rush creativity,It just comes to you in good time.:D
Thanks all for the comps and John P for posting that pic,I'll throw some more on here when I can...><>...HS

·
VOODOO CHILE
1,022 Posts
JPBass said:
I was gonna try and catch a fish with it but it's so damn pretty I couldn't bring myself to throw it in the water!!:) [/B]
JP,Throw that thing all you want,I'll replace it anytime:cool: ....><>...HS

·
Urban Angler
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paul

Just checked out the price for the airbrush. How much do you charge to do these and do you put splits and hooks on them?

·
VOODOO CHILE
1,022 Posts
I feel the Spam police getting itchy....

I'm not a sponsor of these boards and don't want to promote my service without proper consent.:eek:

Normal practice for sending a bait out to be redone is for the customer to remove all hooks and rings and send just the bait.
Prices would vary just like anything else,the more intense you want to get the more $$$.
A custom paint job from any of the reputable "brushes"out there can vary from $8-$10(basic 2-3 color w/scale) up to $25(handdrawn stuff).
A picture or model bait is also helpful when getting your idea across as well for color ideas and patterns etc...

I'd be happy to continue and post some pics if it's OK with the owner
;) ...><>...HS

·
lurecrafter
296 Posts
For scuffed up paint, a dollar bottle of clear nail polish does wonders as does scratch remover found in the auto supply section of Walmart. Even nail polishes containing sparkle (gold, red, blue, silver etc.) can add a shimmering affect just like glitter does for plastic worms.
Bear Paw (John) modified about a dozen cranks and jerks and did a great job and added unique color patterns that caught fish.

Wandy, the other winter time project that you can't stop once you start, is pouring your own soft plastics into your own plaster molds. Low cost set up and as addictive as fishing. Problem is, the wife might put a chain and pad lock on the microwave!

Sam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts