The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a better fish finder and after looking at quite a few I ended up getting a Raymarine Dragonfly. Thanks to my wife, who started with a new company and no longer has a company credit card, points got racked up quick on the Cabela's card so I got an awesome deal, but would have paid full price. So far I really like. I have only been out once on my kayak with it but the difference between it and using my Hummingbird is amazing. I wasn't using DI before. It's like trading in the Atari 1500 for a Wii.
At this point my only complaint is the glass display. Almost impossible to get completely clean. Aside from that, I think It's goign to be a whole new ball game.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=6854#.UfBGD2RC6XU

·
Registered
956 Posts
Bee Geek,
Thanks for sharing. Was thinking of taking a look at it. Glad to see Cabelas has them Same issue with the lowrance color units, Try the cleaners you use on a flat screen tv with the soft cloth. PC Richards sell the solution and works well on delicate screens.
As you use the unit more please send in reports. Was thinking of trying one for my resi boat.
Steve A

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The selector knob is right below the screen so it gets smudged right above it. I'm cutting down an ipad protector to put on it.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Detail! It's amazing see one on top of the other. It a difference between that's what I think it is and that's what it is.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
The DI works best when idling or cruising, at 5-6 mph. Traditional sonar works fine at any slow speed, so long as you understand everything to the left is history, and not actually a picture of the bottom. The DI can actually build a pretty accurate picture of the bottom, if you move in a straight line over your target, at a constant speed. The detail and target separation is amazing.

·
American
439 Posts
Congrats BG...looks like a sweet unit!

Please let me know how your opinion on direct sunlight viewing.

I currently have a HB 385ci combo unit on a 2010 Hobie PA14. Nice little unit but in direct sunlight and when in the split screen mode (sonar/GPS) find it hard to see detail on my 3.5" screen. So, looking to upgrade to at least a 5" screen. I do a lot of deep water, structure fishing and GPS w/Navionics chip, play a major part in finding and staying on key locations.

My set-up when chasing deep water Stripers:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sunlight is not an issue. I was fishing in really bright sun and even with polarized lenses it was no issue. I could have even turned it down some. I can't wait to take it to Maine next week. It was amazing seeing the detail in lay downs.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
This is some great info... I would get a few of these units for any new sonar purchase... Can get 3 of these for the price of 1 HDS 8... Trolling motor, 2 on the dash...( one for sonar, one for GPS) I did find a few discount raymarine sites on the web...
I bought an HDS-8 when they first came out and have to honestly say, one of the worst purchases I've ever made... next to ETEC...
JF, can these units be used with minn kota US2?? In my future dream world, like to upgrade to MK terrova/Ipilot, and a couple of these dragonfly deals... maybe add a stand alone RayM GPS unit...
Keep the info on these coming!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried a doing a screen protector today but the stuff I got was crap. I ordered some stuff from zagg that makes the better stuff. I saved the plastic that was on the screen when I got it so I have a template

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Might work but there is supposed to be a coating on that glass. Not sure if it would be rainx friendly. It's funny how many uses rainx has. When I played paint ball the other guys on the team would break a painball in their gun and have to stop and clean it. I put rainx on the inside of my guns before playing and if a paintball broke in it it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
alot of sonar/computer/phone/sunglass cleaning kits out there...
JF, lets see some pics... better yet, bring that sonar up to clayton next week... Tuffy will be in water... we can magiver it to the trolling motor... also fish and have beer...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got some of the Invisible shield from Zagg and it was a little of a pain to cut but worked great. Trying it out on the water this week in Maine

1 - 18 of 18 Posts