The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a long weekend dropping my son off at Clarkson U up in Potsdam. Of course, I brought the poles for some shore fishing in the Raquette River that flows right through town. Had good action from some 16" smallmouth and smallish (~24") pike both above and below the dams. Topwater and senkos seemed to work best, the backwater by the road and RR bridge abutments seemed to concentrate fish.. Big water! I never realized the flow rate was so large on the Raquette. Can't wait to go back in October for the college's "parents weekend" !!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I went to St. Lawrence right down the road. I fished the Raquette and the Grasse, as well as the St. Lawrence, quite a bit in my 5 years up there. Caught a lot of awesome musky, plenty of smallies too. Next time youre up there, fish the big stretch behind the cemetary. You can drive right through the cemetary to get to the water and theres plenty of shore access. No one will bother you. I hooked some monster muskies back there on big swimmers and huge spinner baits.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can canoe the areas around Potsdam but there is some white water and some areas you may want to portage around unless you're braver or more skilled than I and dont mind risking all your gear and taking a swim.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Case - I saw people in kayaks and canoes above the dam and I'm sure you can get in below as well. I'm wondering if you can tailer launch a boat somewhere, or if it's practical for a deep V aluminum w/25HP. I didn't see and motor boats. I'll scope it out.

JMG - thanks for the tips. Musky, eh?! It LOOKS like a musky river but I wasn't sure. I know the St Lawrence isn't too far downstream but as you know, the river has a series of impoundments on it that look impassable for fish coming upstream. I'd be curious as to how/when they got in there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In regards to how the musky got in the Raquette, I had a "duh!" moment last night thinking about it - the dams weren't always there, allowing fish access to the St Lawrence before they were built. After the impoundments were established, the muskies were "locked in". Interesting that to my knowledge, the upper Raquette River system (Tupper Lake, Raquette Pond, etc) has no muskies. Perhaps there was a natural barrier preventing them from getting up that far.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ive never fished Tupper or Raquette Pond. I have fished Raquette lake, are they the same? Either way, I only got largemouths in RL. The Grasse River, right down Rt. 11 from Potsdam, definitely held a lot more Musky than the Raquette. If you get some time give it a shot. Ask someone how to get to Pyrities and fish just below the hydroelectric plant. You can catch these little brown frogs on the shoreline, hook em up with a lead head, bounce em off the bottom, and hang on. Muskies and big walleye love em.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.