The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....

This winter instead of blowing cash on more rods, reels and lures.... I picked a new area to throw my money away with!! LOL!! I'm looking to buy a kayak or canoe and then fish the Harriman lakes to expand some of the places I can fish beyond the NY Reservoirs. Following Marty around isn't working for me anymore - so I've given that up!! LOL!!

I've been reading up on Harriman and have a few questions for those that fish there - as I've found a few conflicting pieces of info... so any help straightening me out would be great....

1. Where are the biggest and easiest fish to catch and what should I use? LOL!!! Just joking!!! Trying to lighten this place up abit!! LOL!

The real... 1. I understand you have to register the boat/kayak.... do you still need to bring it with you? I've read it had to be present on may sites - but came across another Harriman info site that said it is no longer the case to bring the boat with you to get the sticker.

2. I understand some lakes you need a key... I assume you have to buy a key for each of the individual lakes that are "locked"... not a one key opens all lakes?

3. I read conflicting info on which lakes you can fish WITH A BOAT... the list I have is...
Askoti, Island Pond, Kanawauke North, Little Long Pond, Pine Meadow, Sebago, Silvermine, Skannatati, Skenonto, Tiorati, Welch, Kanawauke South and Stahahe (last two with restrictions through the summer).

4. Are battery operated trolling motors permitted... I've read NO and YES... someone actually use one out there?

Any other info more ore than welcomed... annoying to try and get straight answers of the net sometimes as each search yields opposite results!!!

Thanks and have a great holiday!

J.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey J

I don't have any info about Harriman, I bring so much stuff with me and I need to stand when I fish so a kayak is out for me. Good luck with the kayak and Harriman , I look forward to reading reports about your outings.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
Jason: when I used to car top a jon boat, way back when I first started this bass fishing thing, I would go to Harriman....I could answer #2: the keys are SEPARATE, from what I remember.....you would have to purchase a separate key for the "keyed" waters, which at the time with me, I think, were Welch, Tiorati and Island Pond.....

also, back when I registered, you DID have to present the boat you would be using, I don't know if that has changed.

Let me warn you in advance: these waters are NOT creampuffs either....in fact, they fish tough for a large portion of the season...…

but I can feel you, because that is why I got the porta bote last year, so that I could get away from the reservoirs at times, being that they became so difficult.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
This is from Feb. of 2018.

Harriman State Park
February 7 ·

PIPC Boat Permits, Sterling Forest Permits, Tiorati/Welch and Island Pond Keys go on sale at the Tiorati Office on Saturday, March 10th; 8:00AM-4:00PM. Reminder: You do not need to bring your boats, life jackets or whistles with you. HOWEVER, if you plan on using an electric motor, please bring your DMV boat registration with you.

PIPC Boat Permits: $30/boat
Sterling Forest Permit: $15/boat
T/W Key: $15
Island Pond Key: $15, valid NYS fishing license required. IP key will be sold through April 1st, but could sell out prior to this date.

Cash, check or credit accepted.

Please be prepared for a long line if you're planning on coming on the 10th.

Questions? 845-429-8257

______________________________________________________________________________________________

PS: The key for Island Pond sold in just a few weeks after going on sale. Weekends can be a zoo (especially Tiorati), some guys have TX which can make it very crowded and the lakes aren't that big. I was surprised that they sell a few thousand permits per year. There is a plus though, conversations don't get into politics.:laugh:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thx Leo. Was looking for this info myself. Just bought a boat last month and am planning on getting keys for Welch and tioroti. Glad I only need to bring registration, not the whole boat.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx Leo!!!! Exactly what I was looking for info wise... VERY HELPFUL. Great to hear that I won't have to argue about stuff either!! LOL!!!

I figured some of the Harriman lakes would be crazy at times.... I personally want to try the smaller ones (Island Pond) and the others ungated- minimized paddling and learn them a little faster (hopefully). Adding in the other options reasonably close to me (Wampus, FDR park, etc...) figured there would be enough options to mix things up every now and then.

Overall my plan is to have a boat (likely a kayak) that I can use for those days I want something different than the reservoir experience. All my research seesm to have me headed towards something that provides great stability as one things I'm not going to compromise on is the ability to stand and fish - so a canoe might/could work - but I've found some hybrid kayaks (Diablo paddlesports) that make some pretty wide sit on top kayaks that from what I have seen provide great standing ability. In reality probably as good as my little 42" wide 11 foot jon boat!!! Tackle wise - each year I've tried to take less and be more focused to make my tackle bag smaller... which is actually easier than choosing 2 or 3 rods to use... but one Med and one MH rod should cover alot of techiques so I think I should be good in that respect.

So anyone else that has kayak/canoe (OPEN OT PUBLIC) lakes they'd recommend - LMK.... preferably in lower NY!!! Love to keep a thread going that doesn't turn crazy or is ghost town after 4 replies.

J.

·
Super Moderator
2,927 Posts
The PIPC Boat Permit also allows car top access to Rockland Lake . You would definitely find it a plus not , to pass up on.

. . . I got the porta bote last year. . . .
How’s it worked out for you John? Have you been out to Harriman or just the lakes closer to your homestead ?

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
Jerome: the Harriman lakes are just a bit too much of a haul from my Danbury location....I have instead hit some of my old CT Haunts, including some new ones, and also back to my roots at Wampus Pond.....

the boat is still very difficult to open up, hasn't loosened much, and unfortunately, I cannot handle the whole thing by myself, so, am limited to having to fish with a partner in order to use it....also, it is a concentrated type of 80 pounds, that , for me, at this stage of my life, is tough to lift up being there is nothing good to hold onto ( as with the handles on jon boats, etc. )

it takes an awful lot of pressure to open this thing, even using the stick that they provide....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jerome: the Harriman lakes are just a bit too much of a haul from my Danbury location....I have instead hit some of my old CT Haunts, including some new ones, and also back to my roots at Wampus Pond.....

the boat is still very difficult to open up, hasn't loosened much, and unfortunately, I cannot handle the whole thing by myself, so, am limited to having to fish with a partner in order to use it....also, it is a concentrated type of 80 pounds, that , for me, at this stage of my life, is tough to lift up being there is nothing good to hold onto ( as with the handles on jon boats, etc. )

it takes an awful lot of pressure to open this thing, even using the stick that they provide....
LOL!! John - moving boats can be the worst... and part of the reason I'm looking at one of the Stand Up Kayaks as I'm hoping I can manage it myself. I'd love to buy a small Bass Tracker Jon and go all electric - but don't wanna store it in my driveway - plus once you get beyond something you can pick up with 1-2 people and launch (instead of dropping in off the trailer) - you're limited on lakes down here.

I can (and have 4 times) moved my crappy 14 foot Sears Jon Boat to different reservoirs - on and off the roof of my Element/Explorer by myself. Over time you get a technique and it's pretty easy - but if I had to pick up 75-100 pound box and put it on the roof (maybe even truck) - forget it - Id struggle to do it and would probably scratch the hell out of my car. I read about people bitching about putting a 75lb kayak up top - I think thats more about technique than anything else. Can't be any worse than my 14 foot Jon.

Jerome - thanks for mentioning Rockalnd - I've drive by quite a few times and often wondered about it. It would totally be on my list of spots as that like a 20-30 minute ride for me.

J.

·
8,124 Posts

Nothing has changed.... you're still a Wampussy! LOL...

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I've seen prior posts, I have been fishing Harriman for a few years now Jerome has been very helpful. As for registering, you do not need the boat life jackets etc, if you are going to use a trolling motor your must have a reg that has electric power listed on it. I fish Kanawauke and Tiorati because I fish out of a Pond Prowler that I trailer and these are the only two lakes I have access to with my utility trailer, can only go in on certain roads with it. I now have and inflatable I use as well, it opens up more waters to me, any inflatable has to be NMMA certified. You do need to purchase keys for certain lakes, I have had the Tiorati and Island Pond Keys, I find Island Pond a difficult launch for myself, very steep. I have found the lakes I fish to be productive Kanawauke does weed over by mid June. Also, I fish mainly during the week, I never seen anyone up there for the most part, one or two other boats at times, which is the charm to me, no houses or boats, just some camps on them and nature.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are 2 separate keys that each have their own sticker you can purchase

1 key/sticker for Tiorati and Welch
another key/sticker just for Island Pond (need to furnish a NY fishing license for this key and sticker)

as far as kayaks that you can stand up on and attach a trolling motor to, i personally have the NuCanoe Frontier (12 footer) and it is absolutely PERFECT for what you intend to do

nice cushioned "captain style" seat and a large enough flat deck to stand up and walk around on, hooksets, etc......super sturdy (taken it on the delaware and smashed into rocks with ease) and super stable

because of those qualities, paddling is a bit tougher so i always use a trolling motor
in this video the guy is not using a motor, since he is on a fast river anyhow, but he demonstrates how stable it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogt5Q0VuXyA

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
hey, I recognize that guy in the video! He does the tight wire act in Barnum and Bailey....lol......just kidding.....

very impressive indeed!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are 2 separate keys that each have their own sticker you can purchase

1 key/sticker for Tiorati and Welch
another key/sticker just for Island Pond (need to furnish a NY fishing license for this key and sticker)

as far as kayaks that you can stand up on and attach a trolling motor to, i personally have the NuCanoe Frontier (12 footer) and it is absolutely PERFECT for what you intend to do

nice cushioned "captain style" seat and a large enough flat deck to stand up and walk around on, hooksets, etc......super sturdy (taken it on the delaware and smashed into rocks with ease) and super stable

because of those qualities, paddling is a bit tougher so i always use a trolling motor
in this video the guy is not using a motor, since he is on a fast river anyhow, but he demonstrates how stable it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogt5Q0VuXyA
Thanks for info on Harriman.... I looked at the NuCanoes... they were on the list - seems like once you reach something in the 36 or greater width wise - you get the stability - but obviously lose some of the paddling ability - which I'm fine with as I do plan to go with trolling motor at somepoint.

J.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. I just purchased a pedal kayak, but my next one will be a Blue Sky Boatworks Angler 360. An absolutely comfortable (looking) vessel. The pontoons breakdown for cartop traveling and the options to add an electric drive is appealing. The price is a bit much, and this is their first year of production. They've released a tandem model and I believe they're associated with Jackson Kayaks which has a good reputation.

If you have the $$$ burning in your pocket, I'd definitely consider it. I think it could be a Hobie killer.

·
Registered
339 Posts
just got off the phone with officers at tiorati. keys start 3/9 @ 8:30 am. can go pick up 7 days a week. island pond sold out last year in 6 days. they have 2000 permits for T/W so they wont sell out. need boat reg for either. active fishing lic only needed for IP. enjoy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts