The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on "Overfishing" on NY lakes . . . I tend to try and stay away from lakes where there are tons of guys fishing but sometimes its tough, because I live downstate and my time is limited, if I want to find "Secluded" waters, I have only 2 options: 1.) Drive North for a while or 2.) Hike deep into the woods where there is no road access - So my question is, am I wasting my time trying to find "secluded" waters when there are plenty of bass to go around on these heavy fishing lakes? Is over fishing an actual concern in some of the Lakes in Harriman, like Welch, Kanawauke etc . . .

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Harriman get a lot of fishing, but there are only a few people that are actually catching bigger bass. You get a lot of clueless individuals up there and I think it's true 10% of fishermen catch 90% of fish. I think fish are going to get more weary the more people you have plunking objects in the water. However my son was throwing rocks in the water pretty close to my lure and a nice small mouth hammered it.
There are lakes at Harriman that are more secluded and are worth fishing. Just be careful and let someone know where you go. Harriman has a good population of rattle snakes and I don't believe there ever found the guy that shot his daughter in law. There is also a lot of abandon mines in the area.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with beer geek. You can go to many long island waters and find dozens of people fishing but only a few actually know what they are doing. I wouldnt worry about it but it is nice to fish secluded areas when you have the chance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I fish Harriman several timesa week, and as fishing goes for me its hit or miss, where over fishing pops in my head, but then I have a day where everything comes together and I catch 3 and 4 lbs bass like a pro. A boat and a depth is a must. Good luck

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
hiking into find private waters is a great practice. i have found many gems all over the tri-state area that are off the beaten path.
You will often find evidence of others "finding" your spot as well.
but it's real nice to have a few go-to places where you know you have a good chance at a fish and a better chance of being alone.
one of my places for consistent bass in size and numbers is about a 1/4 acre pond that is both spring and stream fed. holds a ton of fish!
good luck

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - I do watch some of these hacks out there, so I'm not too worried and most of the time when I ask them if they had any luck they almost always say "Not even a bite", meanwhile I've already shore lined 1/2 a dozen bass:laugh:. Yes - BeerGeek - That dude they never found always pops into my head when I'm hiking the back woods, but he's gotta be like 70, I think I could take him HAHA. I get worried about the Bears and occasionally a hornets nest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts