The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Not as good as the price suggests. It is slick & casts well, but has a tendency to unravel. I`ve found the 20# power pro slick to be good, but not the higher weights. Get a hook point in that line & it`s a goner.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Sucks. I tried it and had a lot of break offs on 30#. If you want line that cast and holds up the nanofil is awesome stuff.

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
nice line and it's way better than powerpro. I still don't understand why they sell the outdated rough noisey old stuff. that said I prefer suffix 832 to any other braid made.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Line is good... I've had no problems cast well, great knots... had a blast throwing spinnerbaits with it last year 30#... limited fishing time has kept me from jigging much with it... will take care of that next week in clayton...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have been using power pro for years. Personally I think it's the bast braid on the market. I have one reel with pp that's at least 8-9 years old and still strong. That's why I tried the super slick and was sorry I did. Maybe I got a bad spool. I have also tried just about every braid on the market and always go back to power pro.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, gives me something to think about. Been trying different stuff last couple years,wanted to give it a shot. Got a spool of 50# for my frog rod. Seems to me that the prices of everything is going up.

·
NewB Bass Angler
569 Posts
I have only made the switch this summer, but i haven't noticed a bit of strength or durabilty difference between it and the original. I cant stand the sound of the original going through my guides, so i'm buying this stuff from now on.

Dave

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Line is good... I've had no problems cast well, great knots... had a blast throwing spinnerbaits with it last year 30#... limited fishing time has kept me from jigging much with it... will take care of that next week in clayton...
I use the 30lb stuff for my spinning rods (jigs) and my spinnerbaits on my Halo....man, when a fish slams the spinner on that rod with that line, every fish feels like a monster. Great feeling.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Honestly, being a guy that goes through thousands of yards of power pro a year, this is good stuff for saltwater. The regular power pro cuts through the junk better than the super slick. I was catching 12-15 pound bluefish on 30# super slick today and a 25lb and a 34lb striped bass today on it with no problems.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I love the regular power pro, never had any issues with that. Seems like the slick 8 I have had more unexplained break offs and I have had problems with knots holding....never experienced that before. Don't think I will buy another spool of it.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I gave the 30# slick 8 a good whirl this week in clayton. worked great. knots good, no bite offs. very happy... holds color good with a marker too...
might get some blue for froggin...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I gave the 30# slick 8 a good whirl this week in clayton. worked great. knots good, no bite offs. very happy... holds color good with a marker too...
might get some blue for froggin...
about the 2nd or 3rd week of steady use, you will retract this statement...

Mine was all great for the first week...then I got a few good fish and the line started getting shitty, quick. Then random break off's started happening. Unfortunately it took me losing 2 discontinued Terminator T1's (oklahoma blade, absolute killers) before I smartened up.

I warned ya!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.