The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 17th / post frontally north, northeast winds + coldest morning this season +high sun and blue skies = Smallies stacked up on Lake George!

I have always enjoyed structure fishing and lake George is best for this. I have spots in 20 to 35, 35 to 50 & 50 to 70 ft and deeper. Last time I was on George was the 1st weekend in August - brought my girlfriend (had a really good day around 100 Smallies with a few about 3 pounds). The bait and feeding fish were in 25 to 40 ft. Now 7 weeks later they were in 50 to 75 ft.

Launched in Hague at 9:30 with light north winds (5 mph), forecast called for building winds then diminishing through the afternoon - (weather was correct! amazing) Never really got much above 10 to 15. Based on previous Septembers the best bite is usually in 35 to 50 ft but those spots were dry - I knew they weren't going to be any shallower so ventured out deeper and found pretty much non stop action from 10:30 to 12:30 - 60 ft seemed to be the magic depth.

Moved around checking on some other spots I had + venturing off finding some new stuff. Half of my other stuff had bait and fish and the other half didn't really play out as expected. Ended our day on the same starting reef from 5:30 to 6:30 - catching a bunch more nice solid 2+ lb. fish.

For me the sun needs to be out for this bite to work best & with full sun had perfect conditions for structure fishing.

For the day Water temps ranged from 63.5 to 65.

By days end my fishing partner Don and I had well over 100 smallies and 1 perch. No giants nothing over 3.5 lb. but most in the 1.5 to 2.5 lb. range and some really good fighting smallies.

Mark

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drop shot ruled - they aren't on the blade / spoon bite yet - I tried, that's best when they are in 75 to 100 feet deep - later October is the best time to make that work. The bait wasn't stacked like it is then either - just bands of bait yesterday - most fish seemed to be caught casting on the top of side of drops and fishing down the drop off - did catch a few straight under the boat but not how it is later in the year.

Mark

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I've spent countless numbers of hours refining and finding the key spots that hold bigger then average fish & large numbers as well. Will have to make another trip in Early to Mid October (that's usually prime time to find some really bigger ones).

Mark

·
Registered
590 Posts
over 100 fish.. that is heck of a good day on the water....one thing I love about Smallies, the 2 pounders fight like a 4 pound largie... congrats on a great day on the water

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.