The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some info on this lake. I know that gas engines are allowed and there is supposed to be someplace to launch from (a marina perhaps). I'd like to fish it this year if possible.

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Leigh,

I grew up near Pompton Lake, fished it once when I was very young. There is no marina there but there is either a state launch or a town launch in a park in the town of Pompton Lakes from what I am told. I am not sure if there is a HP limit there or not though, it is not a very big lake, it is actually part of the Ramapo River, after the falls it turns into the Pompton River.

From what I hear it is good fishing there for largemouth and pike.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HugeFish4 said:
All I know is I drive by the sign for it all the time. It has got Pike, Bass, and the state record crappie came out of there. You WILL take me! LOL!
John,
Next time--dont drive by...DRIVE THROUGH! See if there IS a place to launch / tell me / we go!

Scott,
I do know that it is 204 acres and is supposed to have some good green fish.

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
More info

Leigh,

On Lakeside Ave in Pompton Lakes is one lunch, there are three launches from Oakland, NJ to Pomton Lakes, NJ.

The one in Oakland may be off W. Oakland Ave, but not sure, it's been a long time. There maybe another off Rt.202.

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks Scott.

Hey Huge.............:letusfish :letusfish

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Oh yea I give you good info and...........

You don't invite me!!!!:D ;)

·
Pro Guide
574 Posts
launches

Potash Ave off Colfax - only good for canoes and such - this is Oakland.

Lakeside Park off Lakeside Ave: Perrin Ave off Colfax to Lakeside - This is in Pompton

There used to be another launch down lakeside towards town - This is in Pompton

The launch on 202, (Just below Terhune Park) close years ago, but could have opened again. This used to be a small marina, boat rental, hamburger stand.

This lake used to be outstanding for trout as 3/4 of the stock program ended up down there. It used to have a good bass population with some good bass swimming down from some of the ponds that line the Ramapo after flooding. Fred Wheran's pond (Up in Mahway) had some beauts and some of them would end up heading downstream every spring. In addition there were lots of perch, and pickerel.

The other thing the lake used to have was an abundance of was trash. It all washed down the Ramapo and the dam would stop it. I hope they cleaned some of that up.

·
Got smallmouths???
1,313 Posts
Where are you originally from!!!

George,

You must have lived in the area, I grew up in Haledon, just a few miles down the road, spent a lot of days fishing the Ramapo, near Fred Wheran's property, I remember my dad telling me the guy had his own landing strip for his plane.

It has been years since I was in that area and yes there was a hamburger stand/boat rental there by the launch on Rt202, that had to be thirty years ago!!!

I remember the garbage that you would see hanging around by the falls. That area is much cleaner now, as is the river itself since the closing of the Ramapo Landfill.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Leigh!

Hey your talking about my neck of the woods!...I Live about 10 minutes from the launch in Pompton Lakes...I fished it once last year but it was during a very hot dry spell...the whole lake was pea soup!...it was very hard to fish....there are alot of potential spots in that lake and I have heard alot of mixed reviews. When your ready to give it a try let me know....I'll take my boat and meet you there...there is a horse power limit which I will find out and tell you asap!

Kilrbil

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott,
My appologies. How terribly rude of me. OF COURSE you are invited.:D

Kilrbil,
I would like to hook up with you to fish it. Please let me know about the launch and any HP limits. I might take my boat also, that way we can accomodate Hugefish and Scott if they want to join us.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra
1,841 Posts
We have club tournies there

The only ramp I know of now is the town ramp which offers no parking. The launch is good...but you have to park on one of the side streets afterwards. That can get difficult with a trailer. It's a pretty good bass lake that I have had good days...and bad days there. There's lots of thngs to flip....wood...docks....and bridge pilings. I did well there last year with lipless crankbaits and jigs. We have our tourney this year in the summer so the water should be nice and dirty. You can run your big motor on it but there is a speed restriction...which I see many people ignore. I like the lake....despite the parking limitations it is doable. Good luck....Mark

·
Registered
123 Posts
LP,

I work in Wayne and had to take a detour due to an accident this morning. I drove by the lake and there is no ice!:)

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soon John, soon!

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know that. Thats what you usually call him isnt it?

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra
1,841 Posts
I went by there yesterday

Most of the ice is gone....some thin ice still at the end by the ramp....it will be 100% clear by the weekend. Time to go crankin'!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
will be fishing there on sunday.i am from wayne and fished the shore as a kid.the water is always murky.i'm almost positive there is no h.p. restriction as everyhthing i've read said there isn't.haven't been there on a boat yet,but we'll see what happens will let u guys know on monday.:D

·
Banned
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Crank,
Please give us report on how you did and the lake itself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts