The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been catching pickerel at the north end of Cayuga Lake. I brought home 4 of them and have grinded them up in a food processor. I am looking for the best way to prepare them. I have tried making patties before but they tasted rubbery with the coating (eggs & bread crumbs). The ultimate would be preparing them to be really delicious without frying and without a hint of bones. Just wondering if anyone has a great recipe.
Thanks.

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
pickerel recipe

have never eaten them - but love to catch them! my grandfather (POP) used to eat them and my uncles would give him crap about it! my uncle Louie would have a couple of drinks and tell (POP) this recipe!

1. scale and gut the pickerel
2. cover it with salad dressing and some bread crumbs
3. nail head and tail to an apple wood blank
4. place on a grill and slow cook for about 10 or 20 mins
5. remove from grill
6. un-nail pickerel

* throw the pickerel away and EAT THE BLANK!

(LOL) GOD what a fight this pickerel recipe would start! and it went on for years!- if you come across a REAL one PLEASE post!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You may want to try this?

1 Wash and rinse the pickerel thoroughly under running water. Set it flat on a chopping board.
2 Use a kitchen knife to cut the pickerel at the gills. Make a small slit on either side of the gills to allow the blood to wash away before you fillet it.
3 Insert the knife horizontally under the gills to separate the pickerel into two halves. Slide the knife along the backbone, from the head to the tail,
and cut the pickerel into two fillets. Do not cut through the backbone of the fish.
4 Set each pickerel fillet on the chopping board with the skin side facing down. Extract and discard the rib bones from both sides of each fillet half.
Place the knife horizontally below the gills and move it under the bones right to the end of the fillet.
5 Examine each fillet around the upper portion of the backbone for the Y-bones. Slide the tip of the knife beneath the row of Y-bones and cut to
extract it from the fillet.
6 Remove the skin from the fillet. Lay it flat on the chopping board, grip the tail and slide the knife at the tail end of the fillet to separate the flesh
from the skin. Wash and rinse the fillets, and use as desired.

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
You may want to try this?

1 Wash and rinse the pickerel thoroughly under running water. Set it flat on a chopping board.
2 Use a kitchen knife to cut the pickerel at the gills. Make a small slit on either side of the gills to allow the blood to wash away before you fillet it.
3 Insert the knife horizontally under the gills to separate the pickerel into two halves. Slide the knife along the backbone, from the head to the tail,
and cut the pickerel into two fillets. Do not cut through the backbone of the fish.
4 Set each pickerel fillet on the chopping board with the skin side facing down. Extract and discard the rib bones from both sides of each fillet half.
Place the knife horizontally below the gills and move it under the bones right to the end of the fillet.
5 Examine each fillet around the upper portion of the backbone for the Y-bones. Slide the tip of the knife beneath the row of Y-bones and cut to
extract it from the fillet.
6 Remove the skin from the fillet. Lay it flat on the chopping board, grip the tail and slide the knife at the tail end of the fillet to separate the flesh
from the skin. Wash and rinse the fillets, and use as desired.
like it!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.