The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot figure this problem out still...

Been using 1/16 Picasso Tungsten weights, pegged, with standard brush hogs to get some distance with shore line casting for my parents and I. Also for a lil' faster drop and bounce. All 3 of us started this season with 20-30lb PP braid and ever knot is palomar- the one knot I feel super confident in tieing. I had a few hang ups in tree limbs and gentle pulls would result in the line breaking and loosing the weight and hook... First I thought it was the Power Pro so I switched to Samurai. Same thing.... Last week got caught while skipping under a limb and the slightest pull broke the line.. Then I thought it was the bobber stopper fraying the line so I stopped putting those on.
Last night I had the strike I was looking for since early June and drilled the it. INSTANT SNAP! Lost it all... hook, line, and sinker! Not ever a pull back just a fast break. Was very butt hurt since I haven't caught anything over 3.2 pounds since my last report on our site.. like 2 months ago.

What is causing our lines to snap off?
1/16 Picasso Tungsten Weight- insert free
20lb Samurai Braid
3/0 Trokar EWG hook
Bobber stopper above weight
Palomar knot- Using saliva to cinch

There are a LOT of turtles in the lake my parents and I go to daily and every now and then the chase my frog and follow up on a brush hog. I am hoping it was a snapper that bit my rig off and not a 5 lb large mouth!!! It is kinda getting weedy there and barely and branches and limbs in the shallows so it cannot be that fraying the line.

sigh :(

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
any pickerel around?
do the eyes of the hook have spacing or any abrasive edges?

when there is no "pull back just a fast break" that means a cut to me...teeth

try a thick floro leader next time. Braid will continue to snap the same way if you try the same thing. mix it up!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Sounds like your knot is slipping rather than your line breaking or a break at the knot . Sometimes something we do so regularly we get lackadaisical in and miss properly doing , check your tying the palomar knot making sure when after you do the overhand and pass through of your hook that your loop does not cinch down on the hook eye ( which will cut through your line ) and that the loop cinches over the overhand section . Hell , tie a double palomar , doubling the line pass through the overhand before passing the hook through . As a precaution do not cut your tag end too close to the knot .

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for replies.

@klunker18- no pickerel in this lake. I will check the hooks we use for anything that can slice the line but we go through them fast so they are always new right out of the box. Maybe it was a turtle beak... I have 20lb Seaugar Blue Label I can tie on tonight and change it up a bit. Ty sir!

@Jerome- you know something, I believe you are right! I don't remember passing through the hook eye! S.O.B.!! And I will cut the tag end a lil longer too.

You guys were great, Thank you!!

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
Two things I would try, one try using a uni knot and if that works it was your knot. Then try a leader if that works it was your line.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I use Samurai braid exclusively..never a problem..
I use picasso insert and insert free..never a problem..
I use owner and gammy hooks..no Trokar experience..
I use Palomar knots..with saliva to cinch LOL..never a problem..

I have a question..do you use a Leader..? if YES, what type of material..?

I always use a leader..and this stuff never happens to me..

·
Premium Member
8,124 Posts
I've seen this happen many times over the years. Two issues you need to consider:
1) You are tying the Palomar incorrectly. Unlike Mono or Copoly (with cushioning properties), the braid will cut into itself with very little effort.
2) Your line is getting jammed in the small gap in the hook eye.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
20# braid is still only 6# dia... the slightest nick will cause a break off quick... I've used 20# power pro since before it came out... never a problem... I also use the trilene knot with a few extra wraps... no leader either... If the line breaks, its a bite off or snag...

·
Multi-Species Angler
207 Posts
Like said, the uni knot I showed you is the way to go...A leader will help with your break-offs...

And, there sure are picks in there....No doubt...But , thats knot the issue...;)

I would also check your rod guides with a Q-tip...Sounds like you have a cracked guide to me...

Good luck !

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like said, the uni knot I showed you is the way to go...A leader will help with your break-offs...

And, there sure are picks in there....No doubt...But , thats knot the issue...;)

I would also check your rod guides with a Q-tip...Sounds like you have a cracked guide to me...

Good luck !
Interesting. Out of all the regulars I talk to daily there, only one had a Pick a few seasons ago. I hope the guides are not the problem. All my rods have a rod glove cover and I take better care of them then myself! I can honestly admit I was doing the knot wrong. After the loop knot I just went around the hook without going through the eye first... Glad I asked and got all the help on the forums before I lost a 8 pounder to my own error!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.