The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprised to see no forum on Pete Rose. Or did I miss it?

my 10 cents are these:

Clinton did not have sex. Hmmmmm
Simpson did not kill his wife. Hmmmmmm
Pete Rose did not gamble. Hmmmmmmmm

All of the above claimed innocence!

So now becasue of a $1M book deal he decides to come clean?

If they let him in, he will always be known as the player/manager who broke the rules!

It dishonors those great players who went before with outstanding records of achievement and who did not have to stoop to that level. He knew the rules and he broke them.

Charlie! :cool:

·
Registered
408 Posts
In my opinion Pete Rose is garbage! He was a great player but a terrible man. What bothers me most about Rose is that for 14 years he had a "how dare you accuse me attitude". He then goes and admits to betting on baseball and continues to lie about not betting from the clubhouse!

That dirt bag would call other managers for inside info on his bets and they have wire taps of him calling his bookie hundreds of times from the managers office. He lies for 14 years and then expects you to beleive him about not betting from the clubhouse.

I personally don't think that Pete should be in the hall of fame but I also don't think that baseball has always used character as a form of judging for candidates, as there are some true scoundrels in the hall as we speak. If they let Rose in, hopefully they will put Shoeless Joe into the hall. My 2 cents......LOL

·
It's been a long time...
899 Posts
Perhaps Pete is really and sincerely sorry. Even though it may seem to some as though MLB should let him back in after all this time, doing so would ruin the absolute example that must be made for his ultimately poor judgement - committed within the organization and punished for.

He should never have betted in baseball. Period.

Sorry, Mr. Rose, but that is the way it must be. Accept it.

Tight Lines...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree it's the 14 years of lying that really nails his coffin for me and it's hard to say that because what he did really is really amazing,4200hits.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
the guy is a AAA sleaze and the only reason he's coming out now is cause he has to... forget working in MLB...tease him with the hall of fame, then don't let him in.... he's made enough off the game.

with that said, what about all the guys who've been taking steroids, setting records, winning games etc... now that's an issue that will never be resolved.

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
name a few stars of today, and i'll find their weaknesses too. whatever. he's a clown, but was one helluva baseball player.

sports are dying more and more for me. everyday a new story comes out about one of the big guys.

like i said before... whatever.

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
So now becasue of a $1M book deal he decides to come clean?
Isn't it always about the money?

He does belong in the HOF, but not back in baseball

·
1,252 Posts
I wish I had his drive and will to win. I thought he was an extremely good example of how to play a sport. He never gave up, he never stopped trying to learn and improve, and he was always prepared.

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found this on ESPN.. Nice Article!

Rose shows lack of respect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter Gammons
Special to ESPN.com

I have always maintained that if Bud Selig decreed Pete Rose eligible for the Hall of Fame pending the vote of the Baseball Writers Association, I would vote for him as a player. Now I hear Bud is going to issue a two-year probation and make Rose eligible only by the vote of the veterans' committee. Fine. Because these last two days have made me rethink my initial decision to vote for him.

First, in betting on baseball as manager -- a position that demands standards higher than those for players -- Rose demonstrated a complete lack of respect or caring for the game.

Then came this week. Turning around on Bart Giamatti? Despicable.

Also, the fact that he has orchestrated the release of his book and his admission of guilt at a time when Dennis Eckersley and Paul Molitor -- two great people who overcame a lot, which Rose hasn't yet -- are being elected is a bold statement that he has no respect for Cooperstown, and that he wants to be in the Hall for one reason -- to make money to feed his addictions.

This is a man who admitted something in a forum in which he can make money. He has no remorse, no respect for anything but his next bet. Rose is perhaps the lowest figure in baseball in my 32 years of covering the sport.

Fay Vincent, a very good man who deserves all of baseball's apologies for the way he was treated, refuted that "the fans want Pete in Cooperstown" argument by pointing out that, in 1947, 15 of 16 owners voted not to allow Jackie Robinson into the majors -- and 85 percent of Americans were against such integration, too. Well, what Branch Rickey did against public opinion, seven years before Brown v. Board of Education, is the single most important moment in baseball and sports history, proof that it's not about what the majority wants at one moment. It's about what's right.

And until Pete Rose proves to me that he cares about something other than Pete Rose, he does not have my vote.

Eckersley had addiction problems, admitted them, confronted them and became a Hall of Famer. Same with Molitor.

What they did never impaired the integrity of baseball.

As far as I'm concerned, Rose can go to Cooperstown and sign tawdry items for those who, like him, have no respect for integrity, baseball or the Hall of Fame.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
6,547 Posts
hey the guy was great.i like him.he gambles on sports.he bangs women all over the world.and he loves to drink.hes my hero.lol.he should be in the hall of fame but never allowed to manage again.how would you feel if you won the bassmasters classic then angler of the year and someone took it away from you because they didnt like something you did.i can see banning you from the sport but not take away the accomplishments you have.its not fair.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts