The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to thank everyone who posted on my other thread about fishing this river. It was a great experience today.

Got out today around 10am and got to the river at about 11. The first spot was under a bridge in Elmwood park. Made a few casts with a senko and had a few lunkerboss minus fish hit. I then look over into this deep hole and see a very long and skinny fish. Threw a 4" senko in there and it smacked it immediately. It was a great fight and it was what I was looking to catch for almost 10 years! IT WAS A NORTHERN PIKE!

Hand Goggles Sunglasses Cap Sleeve

Vertebrate Goggles Sunglasses Sleeve Snake

It was a great fish and a great fight. Now I know why Marty praises them so much. It was about 5 or 6 pounds.

Me and my buddy Kevin had 8 more smallmouth all about a pound, some red breast sunfish, one Rockie, and a white perch.

From there we went to a open park/boat launch which only yielded a baby smallmouth and a Rockie.

The next spot was at another big park next to some school. We had brought our waders and this spot was perfect for them. Well it definatly paid off with the smallies! We caught 25 of them along with a few Rockies, some red breasted sunfish, and one small pike about 2 pounds. All the action was on senkos, topwater and spinnerbaits. Here are some more pictures.

Vertebrate Fishing bait Organism Fish Fishing lure

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
good job dude.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Nick,
Great job and thanks for posting. That is a real nice pike and smallie. Glad to see the multi species in the river.
Keep reporting on the river. It is an untapped resource mostly because of its history. I have fished exactly uner the bridge where you were and caught a few small smallies there from my jon boat. Good luck when yoy try it again.
Steve A

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Great ones Nick.......there are some much bigger ones in the river....like 40" big..Canadian quality fish!!.....I've seen them and many of my friends catch them......thanks for the report!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've lived within a few miles of that river most of my life. Its reputation comes from pollution by various businesses that are long gone. Because of the kind of area it drains it's thought to have always been somewhat silty and dinghy but the water quality is much improved from its worst levels decades ago. The Pike have been stocked to control the Carp and I'll second what Icehot said about their size. I fish for them out of a kayak and it can be a frightening experience when one of these big guys waits until the last second to take a swipe at your lure or spinnerbait. Your mind is on your next cast as you prepare to lift your lure out of the water and WHAM! Time to change your shorts.
If you look on a map you'll see the intersection of Bloomfield ave and Rt 46. There is a launch there in the Pio Costa Industrial park. This is the upstream end of the Big Piece Meadows. The meadows extend down almost to the two bridges area where the Pompton meets the Passaic. By car the distance is maybe 4 miles. By river it's 12. There are almost always some deadfalls or strainers blocking the way at some point so the best way to fish the river is to launch downstream and go up. The strainers effectively block access to some parts most of the time so the fish hardly ever see a lure. The river bottom here is almost always soft mid that you don't want to step into. Even the land while looking firm is often too soft to walk on. It is a wild place. It has Otters and Eagles and lots of deer.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've lived within a few miles of that river most of my life. Its reputation comes from pollution by various businesses that are long gone. Because of the kind of area it drains it's thought to have always been somewhat silty and dinghy but the water quality is much improved from its worst levels decades ago. The Pike have been stocked to control the Carp and I'll second what Icehot said about their size. I fish for them out of a kayak and it can be a frightening experience when one of these big guys waits until the last second to take a swipe at your lure or spinnerbait. Your mind is on your next cast as you prepare to lift your lure out of the water and WHAM! Time to change your shorts.
If you look on a map you'll see the intersection of Bloomfield ave and Rt 46. There is a launch there in the Pio Costa Industrial park. This is the upstream end of the Big Piece Meadows. The meadows extend down almost to the two bridges area where the Pompton meets the Passaic. By car the distance is maybe 4 miles. By river it's 12. There are almost always some deadfalls or strainers blocking the way at some point so the best way to fish the river is to launch downstream and go up. The strainers effectively block access to some parts most of the time so the fish hardly ever see a lure. The river bottom here is almost always soft mid that you don't want to step into. Even the land while looking firm is often too soft to walk on. It is a wild place. It has Otters and Eagles and lots of deer.
It's terrific to see a river come back like that. It's a credit to the Clean Air and Water Act passed in the 60's(?). When I was a kid the Raritan Bay was also a polluted mess, but today it's a great spot to fish for numerous species.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Absolutely nothing against the act but at least in this case the economy shut most of those businesses down. Perhaps this was a unique case. I just noticed that that huge junk yard just north of 46 at that intersection is now gone. I'm not sure why but the water quality has to be better as a result. You can show people who have lived around there for years pics of fish you caught and they won't believe you caught them there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Absolutely nothing against the act but at least in this case the economy shut most of those businesses down. Perhaps this was a unique case. I just noticed that that huge junk yard just north of 46 at that intersection is now gone. I'm not sure why but the water quality has to be better as a result. You can show people who have lived around there for years pics of fish you caught and they won't believe you caught them there.
I would bet that many of those business went under when they could no longer dump their crap in the river. Back in those days some of the biggest offenders were local governments that dumped their sewage in the rivers. When they were stopped, things began to slowly turn around. It's wonderful to see nice fish being caught there again.

·
Registered
590 Posts
According to the local EPA people much of the flow during low water is from sewage plants along the river. The sewage is all completely treated but nonetheless.
I think you would lose that bet.
I once read a newspaper article where the mayor of either Garfield or Passaic was quoted as saying that there should be no swimming allowed in the Passaic. The river should be reserved for industrial use. The date on the article was 1923.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.