The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out with Frank (senko sam) for another fun day of fishing. Our last trip (June) consisted of virtually non-stop action as we boated 48 bass. That day seems like a distant memory as the fishing has been brutally slow and today was no different.

Water temps (80.6°) were a little cooler than I expected. Not surprisingly, the water was stained and the weeds (although not bad) didn’t look as good as they did a month ago.

Armed with jigs and plastics, we began targeting all the high percentage weedy sections that should have held fish. We spent the next few hours fishing the inside, middle, outside and beyond the weeds without a sniff except for 2 pickerel.

The next natural progression was to probe deeper water so we spent a good amount of time targeting deep points, stone walls, and roadbeds. And while we marked several large bait balls in a few key areas, the bass were no where to be found.

Next on the list was a specific flat with deep sparse weeds in 14-17 FOW. The plan was to run deep cranks while making contact with the weeds. This was the key and the only method that worked as far as putting fish in the boat.

It was a lot of work, and while we didn’t load the boat, we did manage to catch several respectable fish. It was hot, and the action was slow, but we still had fun and look forward to our next outing together.

3-pounds, 9-ounces

4-pounds, 3-ounces

6-pounds

Thanks for reading.

·
angler
2,275 Posts
First let me say that fishing with Ronnie is an experience I would recommend to anyone. No one I've ever fished with is as versatile or disciplined. More myths were dispelled yesterday than I've been able to correct in years!

First, who would have guessed that the predominant bite would be crankbaits - all freak'n day long! Not a bottom biter to be found anywhere! We both hit multiple areas with jig, tubes, drop shot baits and worms. NADA, ZIP, DOO DOO. Hot water, post spawn, bait fish on surface all over the place but no bass? A pattern or a fluke?

Second - I wish we had a sidefinder to be able to stay on the wall and adjacent to small humps, especially in a 8 mph wind! No fun constantly drifting away and having to correct our boat position. (Reminder: bring the drift sock next time!)

Third - waterr and cool clothing that covers as much sun exposed skin as possible, a must! (no more sweetened drinks on board!!!)

Fourth - Since I didn't observer # three, I got a burn on my arms and legs. Tip: spread olive oil on the burned areas. The relief is instantaneous and promotes a tan after the fact. An incredible discovery!

Fifth - As far as crankbaits go, matching the predominant forage was disproved and neither of us cast crankbaits that looked anything like alewife. As far as Bill Dance's and Ricky Clunn's erratic crankbait retrieve and their promoting such since day one - nope! Sure and steady caught the big ones in 83 degree water!

The calzones we ate at a small restaurant after we left the lake, were superb!

(Note to myself: Ronnie is all business and serious while fishing, but really loosens up afterwards when there's food involved ! :laugh:
(Another note to myself: make sure I print off instructions and a map from google maps so that I don't miss another exit that "even Stevie Wonder couldn't miss!!!!") :laugh:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Great report and pretty much what conditions and what should have been I experienced all weekend also(except for the fish!!)......Thumbs up!

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
nice fishes dudes.ronnie,you look like you lost a few pounds there.

·
angler
2,275 Posts
Can't wait until this heat wave ends and the bottom bite picks up in deeper water and in thick weeds. I designed a weed guard for a tube jig I'm dying to try out on a reservoir. It's already proven itself punching through heavy milfoil in my pond on bass that have vice grips for jaws!

From the both of us, thanks for the replies.

·
Unicorn Chaser
871 Posts
Great read, nice job figuring them out! I had a similar bite today where the cank bait was the only thing triggering good fish, no 6 lber for us though, great fishing guys.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts