The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a while since last we'd make it out since back in the winter , blade bass'n . Justin and I could not make it out for the spring , missing spring , prespawn and the spawn . So Justin made the call with plans to bass until dusk starting first light of dawn.
We'd meet up and make it out on the water just before 6am - 5pm
partly cloudy skies with breaks of sun not too hot to spoil the fun
Air temps 77° - 80° water temps were 89° - 90° winds were never really a factor whereas to make fishing or rowing difficult
The rain clouds hovered but would did not open up until we made the it to the launch for our exit .
The water was stained with less than a foot visibility and the grass was just beneath the surface .
Now on with the tour and Justin was again as in the winter quite the guide, getting us to where these reservoir bass made it clear they were active and steady on their post spawn summer feeding pattern , healthy and putting up quite the good fight and making no effort making it clear to this Lake basser that I may come with the same tactics to get them to strike but a mistake to bring my lake small arms and artillery to this reservoir fight .
( back to that in a moment )

As Justin would be true to form , he stayed well into his norm. Starting with the best of the day that would total 12 bass and half as many that would not make it into the boat..

5lb 5oz
http://imageshack.us

4lbs

I would be schooled by these bass affording me the lesson learned to not come here cranking with 12lb fluorocarbon and light gear as I was handled by this reservoir bruiser , making it all the way to the boat then what sounded like a firecracker went off so loud as my line snapped like a whip , proving I came ill equipped . Away with what would be my best of the day making way with my Rapala Crankin’ Rap and adding insult to injury , returning five minutes later , ten yards boat side , breaking the surface trying to expel my lure .
( lesson well learned )

Not before a few more that would not make it to the boat , but it was quite an enjoyable time out again with Justin and getting out on a new reservoir ( for me ) and turning the curve on to the post spawn / summer bite .

Every fish following Justins first two were verging in on the 3lb range . of those were my best today to make it in hand . Thanks again Justin and anytime you want to partner up we will make for it a plan .

·
Unicorn Chaser
871 Posts
Nice job guys, Justin def knows his stuff! Too bad you lost that fish J but you'll have plenty more shots at em. I had my stupid 12 lb floro snap on me today as well on a good fish because I didn't Retie for hours, just totally forgot ..

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
nice report. Solid long day. Good job.

J- I personally wont use Fluoro for deep cranking. I stick with 12lb mono and have never had a break off yet...even when I am fishing shale rock ledges covered in zebra mussles (which will murder any lines)...

my buddy on the other hand has the same setup as me, with fluoro....every day he deep cranks he looses atleast one or two big cranks just from his fluoro snapping.

Iacanelli actually has a pretty good video where he gets into lines for deep cranking. He also uses mono because that given "stretch" in the line at the depth's, actually help the fish suck the lure in better and hook itself, rather then you having to set the hook.

maybe you will have another chance at her this year!

·
Weights&Measures
2,196 Posts
It was a great day yesterday. What Jerome didn't mention is amongst the fish we lost 3 were atleast in the 4-4.5# range as we lost them boat side and saw the fish clear as day which sucked! But worst than that Jerome lost a true reservoir gorilla, oh well maybe next time. All the fish were caught on colors that don't work here, maybe if we listened to Marty about the color that works here we could have done better.

·
Not so lost...
3,676 Posts
Nice report J^2 and sounds like an awesome outing..

Iacanelli actually has a pretty good video where he gets into lines for deep cranking. He also uses mono because that given "stretch" in the line at the depth's, actually help the fish suck the lure in better and hook itself, rather then you having to set the hook.
When I fish the reservoirs with deep cranks, I will always use 14-16lb flouro. It seems that 12lb is more for medium and shallow cranks. Also the same rod for me doubles up as a spinnerbait rod.
I was under the impression that for true deep cranking, 10lb fluoro was the deal.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I was under the impression that for true deep cranking, 10lb fluoro was the deal.
Its honestly just a preference. However, I throw Lucky craft D20's all day on a 7'4" Halo Cranking rod with a 5.1:1 BB1 and I have only had one fish shake me off this season. 12lb mono. Have yet to have a break off and I am running my cranks 20-25ft deep, banging the ledges off the shale cliff's.

Using fluoro in the same conditions would be asking to donate $20 cranks all day to the depth's. Shale and Zebra mussles Do wonders to fluoro, and not in a good way. Mono is much more resilient.

There really isnt a depth reaching different between mono and fluro. The only difference is stretch, and while my hookup's are nearly 100% solid on every single deep crank fish with mono, I do not have a reason to go back to anything else.

at 15:40 he talks about lines, rods and deep cranks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ytMuu65zg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.