The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it to Oneida yesterday, cool, very windy with the wind out of the northwest, the lake was covered in whitecaps. There were several pros there getting ready for the Northern Open, one of them asked me if this was normal weather, I just said "Welcome to central New York". After launching I headed to Big Bay and working in 7 feet and out threw a spinnerbait, the pickerel liked it, bass, not so much. After being blown around I went to a spot on the west side of Big Bay, there is a shoal and I worked my way around the south edge with the spinnerbait and pitching a tube from 5 feet to about 12, the weeds were patchy I hit a bass in about 9 feet on the tube, 2-21/4 lbs. left for another area. After trying several areas on the north shore with zip for results, did see a a couple of small areas with good weeds, I went over by Frenchman Island, the wind as at the point I couldn't hold the boat without a lot of work so I tucked in behind Long Point. I had a couple of hits on the spinnerbait and tube that felt good so I think I have another area. Then the ride back to the launch, 3 to 4 footers, it wasn't pleasant but I made it and even had the bonus of a shower. I have at least 2 areas where I should be on fish, the cold front will be passed and it'll be warming. The only problem I see at the moment is wind at 11 to 15 from the south, don't think it'll be a problem.
Rodney

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
If the wind comes from the south, you'll be fine. North or South while it can get choppy are usually the least worrisome directions for wind on Oneida.

Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the south means I should be able to fish most of what I want to, just one or two spots might be difficult, I should be able to figure out how to fish those. I just hope that the weatherman is right and it's out of the south.
Rodney

1 - 4 of 4 Posts