The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Pretty easy to target what you want on Oneida, any water 6ft or deeper most likely smallies, 8 ft or less with good weeds - largies. As for area's the schools of smallies move around find them & your good to go... watch the birds & look for bait dimpling the surface, when you see this its a sure bet the smallies are very close and active - just get something in there as fast as you can, a tube, DS, Jerkbait wacky stickbait! Then just follow them around - they'll surface often most likely.... after 10am seems to be a key time for good schooling action!

Mark

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm limited by my boat as to how much water I can cover, I have a tin boat and WOT is 32, just wondering if I should work Big Bay all day for largies or run around the islands for smallies. I'm hoping to make 2 trips to check out some areas. I may just look for good weeds and see what I can find and if I can get a jig bite going. The last TX I had there I was drop shotting smallies and did pretty well but that was about 7 years ago. I'll let you know what I find, thanks.
Rodney

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
Why not just turn right out of Oneida Shores and fish Muskrat Bay to Old Man's Bay for either? Work that, then work back, shoot up to the river, and then Big Bay and you've got a day of fishing right there. No need to run far on Oneida.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John, the TXs I fished we didn't go out of Oneida shores but east of the islands where I had done pretty well. What you said really does look doable, I'm hoping to make 2 trips to pre-fish so I can familiarize myself as much possible with 2 maybe 3 areas to fish hard. Mt heart tells me to just go look for smallmouth, but my hard head says to look for large mouth, choices, always choices, it's fun.
Rodney

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
Are you running out of south shore launch, off rt. 31? Damon Bar isn't too far off. Go out and west of Dutchman, and past Shackleton Point. I'd simply be looking for biters - green or brown. You'd be surprised how often the two species intersect in some spots. Oneida smallies seem unafraid to invade largemouth territory. Pack come and go in "drive by" frenzies. Walleye do it too. If you have SI, and good intel, you can fish some of the many wrecks and barges for resident smallies, and they will probably be bigger ones too. I'm just scraping the surface on that one. That info is closely guarded.

·
Tinman
552 Posts
The bass in Oneida all suffer from some odd personality disorder. I've caught smallies in 6' of water in the weed beds during 90 degree days in the middle of summer. Then I run out to the shoals and fish in 20' depths and I start catching largemouth. Wtf... There's just no excuse for the place.

Hit area's that look like they should hold bass and start fishing. You'll probably catch some type of bass.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going out of Oneida Shores, my GPS thinks Arrowhead Lodge but I'll fix it, big hammer works.LOL I was there today, the wind was killer, tin boats are a problem, I did find some water I think might be good for me though. Hope to be back up there again before the TX.
Thanks guys,
Rodney

1 - 13 of 13 Posts