The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to try a new bigger water in the bass boat this weekend. I've never been to either so it should be a good learning experience. If you had the choice where would you go Oneida or Lower lake Champlain?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just got back from a week at Champ. I know it is hailed as one of the greatest lakes in the US, and it is. However at the current time it is 4/6 feet high in places. The lower end is horrible right now. The largemouths are just up on the banks and the problem is the banks are back too far to get to them. I know people will get on here and say they are catching them. They also fish there all the time. Everyone I talked to said the same. I fished 2 days north with a person who lives an hour from the lake and yes the smallies were biting, but the largemouth are off because you just can't get to the shallow ones. We had the boat on (where) the shoreline should have been. It was 4 feet high, you just couldn't get at them. I would say Champlain in a heartbeat, but right now it is fishing tough

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Bfl

as mentioned along with a 60 boat partner's tourney coming out of the other end on both Saturday and Sunday.. Yeah.. if you are thinking oneida, pick a different weekend..

·
HardCore
1,858 Posts
I just got back from a week at Champ. I know it is hailed as one of the greatest lakes in the US, and it is. However at the current time it is 4/6 feet high in places. The lower end is horrible right now. The largemouths are just up on the banks and the problem is the banks are back too far to get to them. I know people will get on here and say they are catching them. They also fish there all the time. Everyone I talked to said the same. I fished 2 days north with a person who lives an hour from the lake and yes the smallies were biting, but the largemouth are off because you just can't get to the shallow ones. We had the boat on (where) the shoreline should have been. It was 4 feet high, you just couldn't get at them. I would say Champlain in a heartbeat, but right now it is fishing tough
Having spent 4 days there, the end of last week, I gotta say that 4 to 6 feet is a pretty big exaggeration. It's up, but about 18 inches. We found plenty of LM in the Ti area. Just a matter of finding heavy milfoil with some clean water behind it. Far from the fish being so far back they were inreachable, we found most of our action in 2 to 4 feet of water. Unfortunately, my partner kicked the ever-loving-crap out of me on the spinnerbait bite, but that's fishing. Smallies above the bridge were another story, and were absolutely on fire. My kid went back over the holiday weekend and smoked them again.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
as mentioned along with a 60 boat partner's tourney coming out of the other end on both Saturday and Sunday.. Yeah.. if you are thinking oneida, pick a different weekend..
We've got 16 boats going out of south shore DEC launch on Sunday. I was not aware of the team tournament going out of Marian Manor this weekend, looks like Sunday is going to be busy out there too.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Having spent 4 days there, the end of last week, I gotta say that 4 to 6 feet is a pretty big exaggeration. It's up, but about 18 inches. We found plenty of LM in the Ti area. Just a matter of finding heavy milfoil with some clean water behind it. Far from the fish being so far back they were inreachable, we found most of our action in 2 to 4 feet of water. Unfortunately, my partner kicked the ever-loving-crap out of me on the spinnerbait bite, but that's fishing. Smallies above the bridge were another story, and were absolutely on fire. My kid went back over the holiday weekend and smoked them again.
Rich, from my understading, they have been getting HAMMERED all this week with insane thunderstorms dumping huge amounts of rain. The level is currently 99.6 and it has been rising everyday.

however 4-6ft is much more then what it really is.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes, I have no clue what I am talking about. I guess that's why it is 4 feet on North Hero where the shoreline was. I guess that's why people have their docks pulled out all over the lake. They won't yank their docks for 18 inches

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.