The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking at getting a resi boat for some time now, an opportunity has arisen to pull the trigger and just looking for some guidance. Between Croton area 28 titicus area 6 croton falls 16 can anybody point me in the right direction? I apologize if this is a faux pas posting this, just don't want to get ripped off as I don't have any way of knowing what a good spot is and this being a time sensitive matter.
thanks
Alex

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
which on is closer to your home?
all are great reservoirs and they all have their own cycles. Croton has arguably been the most consistent of the 3 in recent years as the others have had fluctuating water levels. cant go wrong at any of those spots. good luck

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If you have the time to drive to each location/launch and look at them I would. Some locations I have boats in the parking/walk to boat area is awful and actually deters me from fishing there at times.

I nice safe place to park and short level walk to a boat area goes a long way to having an enjoyable time on these reservoirs.... most notably after your done for the day rowing your arms off in summer heat - that pack-up and walk out of a boat area can be a huge drag if it's uphill and a long walk.

J.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If you have the time to drive to each location/launch and look at them I would. Some locations I have boats in the parking/walk to boat area is awful and actually deters me from fishing there at times.

I nice safe place to park and short level walk to a boat area goes a long way to having an enjoyable time on these reservoirs.... most notably after your done for the day rowing your arms off in summer heat - that pack-up and walk out of a boat area can be a huge drag if it's uphill and a long walk.

J.
BUMP this..def recommend visiting each launch..BTW..Area 28 is a tough launch & parking..and Croton is terrible..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm no largemouth in Croton? And is it really terrible or do you just not want another boater there?
Largemouth are def my bread and butter , but i'd like to go for trout once in a while so now I may be leaning away from Croton

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Oh ok saw the edit. Also is $600 a fair price for a 12 ft semi v in good condition on these waters?
You have to be the judge of that.....

My personal take - typically a used boat on craigslist goes for 250-500. The 250 in good condition are few and far between and you coudl be waiting for months to find one. After sucessfully finding one, you then need to get it to your place - store it - then take it to DEP have it cleaned and then transport it to the reservoir.

If you have a truck and a friend and get a good deal on a boat - then 600 MIGHT not be a great deal if you can find a boat 400 or less. But if you need to rent a truck, take off work to go to DEP and do all the labor - 600 becomes a more reasonable figure as when you add up the costs, time and effort it's not that bad.

j.

·
Registered
220 Posts
NC does have trout, and the occasional monster Striper. It also has LMB and a few smallies wandering around. NC28 was very recently reported with case of vandalism where a boat chain was cut and taken for a joy ride. Fortunately, the boat was recovered safe, but these events are common to NC, unfortunately.

Good luck on your first boat, you'll love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.