The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just monster smallies the entire weekend.

Stout bags whenever the top ten are all over 20 lbs

And if the Elites don't crack the 100 lb. mark next month then they aren't trying hard enough

Thanks for reading

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Yeah Dick & Bob finished 8th with 21+ lbs. As to the pros topping 100lbs next month, I doubt it. There won`t be so many shallow fish anymore, & Lake Ontario can be an adventure after an 80 mile trip from Waddington. Besides the Gates are now closed & you may be locked into a small area unless you go thru the LOCKS, which can be another adventure. Hopefully they will open the gates making it easy to go up river. If not, you may have a long wait at the LOCKS if there is a lot of Steam ship traffic. The Big Boats get priority in going first. My guess is that 75-80 lbs wins this deal. Maybe less.
Charley Hartley was up there recently & predicted that if the locals can get 25 lbs a day, the Elites will easily top 100 lbs. I guess he`s another guy who thinks the Elites are better than Recreational anglers.:laugh: He`s in for a BIG SURPRISE. A lot of those guys catching the 25 lbs are darn good fishermen.
Should be interesting.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I was just gonna start some elite smacktalk... I thought the tourney was outa ogdensburg... I would like to get up there and watch, had a few offers to drag around some media in the Tuffy... USPS said nope. Unless I quit, which is a tasty thought right now...
Burnie, great write up I'm sure... your attachments shut down my flintstone computer every time... you should click and paste on your website so us Elderly can read!!
St Lawrence river is amazing... Will move up there sometime...

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
My prediction: everyone fishing the last day will finish with 80 lbs or better for the tournament... and I'll even go so far as to say 4 over 90 lbs.. someone will probably break 100 lbs. (65%)

These guys are really good... especially when you figure a lot of them got help before the offlimits from those darn good local fishermen.

It's going to be a whackfest. I think the top 50 cut weight is going to be thru the roof.

·
Volunteer for Life
861 Posts
Great report Burnie. Amazing fishing on the St. Law right now!

I don't see the Elites getting near 100lbs for their event. Maybe 80 to win ... which would still be awesome, but no way 100. Hopefully someone proves me wrong, but by August, I really doubt it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: the Elites hitting 100 lbs-totally weather dependent. Ontario has the fish to do it, but I doubt they get 4 days of slick or even manageable wind. With the launch being further up the river if it blows their fishing time is really going to be cut down making the run out to the big lake.

·
Fishing out Loud
227 Posts
These guys are really good... especially when you figure a lot of them got help before the offlimits from those darn good local fishermen.
It's pretty funny, one of the Elite guys who contacted me really wanted to catch largemouth. His traveling buddy was up there before the off limits and said he was crushing the largemouth. I just think it's funny how competitive it is at that level where even your traveling partner is trying to mislead you....but his travel partner is a very noted shallow water largemouth guy so who knows. I just can't see anyone cashing a check fishing strictly for largemouth for two straight days.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's pretty funny, one of the Elite guys who contacted me really wanted to catch largemouth. His traveling buddy was up there before the off limits and said he was crushing the largemouth. I just think it's funny how competitive it is at that level where even your traveling partner is trying to mislead you....but his travel partner is a very noted shallow water largemouth guy so who knows. I just can't see anyone cashing a check fishing strictly for largemouth for two straight days.
He might think he can be competitive with largemouth, but they aren't as easy to catch in August as they are in June. I wouldn't doubt he put together 20+ bags when he was up there, but it's pretty rare to see anything that big later in the year. Seems like largemouth will get you 17-19 lbs on a great day, which can win club tournaments but won't cash a check in the bigger tournaments. He'll be looking for smallmouth after practicing up there for a day. :laugh:

It should be noted too that this tournament appears to be moved to Waddington, when it was announced they said Odgensburg. Now they are even farther from Lake Ontario, and will have to go through a lock. I think that will keep the weights a little lower as well. I think it will still take 85+ lbs to win though

·
Registered
412 Posts
The gates are open on Iroquois for boat traffic to pass through freely so they don't have to lock to get through.

They were closed up to the July 4th time but are now open and should be in August as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
How it was explained to me is you can't lock through an impassible boundary for fish with fish in your livewell.

So like the Eisenhower Locks are impassible for fish. They can't freely swim from one side to the other and therefore you can not lock through with fish and bring them to the other side.

The Iroquois is not a true dam in that sense and is passable. Being a water control device that the water and fish freely move even when those doors are down (since they don't go to the bottom and only go a little bit into the water) it designates that a passable boundary. So even if the gates were down and you had to lock through you could with fish.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still think we'll see a couple of century belts awarded during this Elite event and it will take around 69-72 lbs. just to make the final 12 cut.

Don't kid yourself these boys are getting a bunch of local help and yes I know it's all part of the game.... but really.

I mean if a touring pro can't hit the water and figure it out on their own in three or four days of practice that kind of answers the whole "best in the world " label.

And yes they're all great sticks don't get me wrong, but there's something to be said about putting it together on your own.

As far as largemouth -Vs- smallies well I know I sure got tired of getting my bags smoked up there so I finally went to that 30-45 ft zone with a drop shot and those 18.5 lb. bags started magically appearing

It ain't sexy but it sure does fill the live well in a hurry

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have to say Burnie I never knew it was anything like this. I completely thought these guys were just that good. Showed up, established a pattern, practiced, learned the area, marked their spots and figured it out. I have learned over the last few weeks it's about as far away from that as possible.

·
BASS MASTER ANGLER
303 Posts
How it was explained to me is you can't lock through an impassible boundary for fish with fish in your livewell.

So like the Eisenhower Locks are impassible for fish. They can't freely swim from one side to the other and therefore you can not lock through with fish and bring them to the other side.

The Iroquois is not a true dam in that sense and is passable. Being a water control device that the water and fish freely move even when those doors are down (since they don't go to the bottom and only go a little bit into the water) it designates that a passable boundary. So even if the gates were down and you had to lock through you could with fish.
I did not know that thanks for sharing. Learn something new every day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.