The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wanted to drop a quick note here to introduce myself to the forum as I hope to be a contributor here soon. I came into fishing while in college at Oneonta State where I took a fly fishing course with David Brandt. He taught me quite a bit about being a smart fisherman, learned how to tie flies, cast correctly, and land some serious trout. My buddy back home has been an avid fisherman and we go out together from time to time on Long Island, however he and I are both pretty novice. I love to learn about how to improve my strategy, learn about new lures and tricks, and apply them to reap the rewards. I should mention college was about 5 years ago and I'm just now diving head first back into my love for fishing.

In the past couple months I've visited about every body of water on Long Island I could find and made a trip up to Lake Cossayuna in Washington County. I'm dead-set on learning how to be an efficient angler while using only lures, however my luck, and patience, are being tested toughly this summer. I hate to admit it, but the only fish I've caught since June this year have been on night crawlers.

I've got a pretty decent tackle-box covering members of all major categories. Learned how to rig them, and fish them through reading articles on bass resource, watching video's, talking with anglers on the lakes, etc. My biggest challenge has been finding confidence in the spots I fish, battling the foliage, and obviously nailing a decent catch.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated as I don't plan on quitting any time soon. I live right near twin lakes in wantagh and spend one or two early days a week before work there, around 530am and usually a few hours on Saturday or sunday. I suspect these waters have been over-fished as there are a lot of anglers there over the weekend and no one seems to be pulling anything in. I hope to earn my keep here and become privy to some LI tips and watering holes to explore. If anyone wants to take on an apprentice, feel free to reach out and plan a day of fishing with me.

Thanks!
Russ

·
Gone Fishin
1,212 Posts
Welcome to the Forums Russ.
Nice intro and attitude. The summer months are tough, you are not alone.
Plenty of LI guys on here that report all the time. You will learn from their posts and likely to see them around.
Good luck and hello!!
KLunker18

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Welcome Russ, to the nybass community , 2nd that on the nice intro . at this time I would recommend you spend more time than money . some guys ( including myself ) walked the shore lines with more lures than would be tied on in a season of bass'n . Get what tackle you can for each stage of a bass season, set goals for yourself to improve using the lures to use as bass transition , toward your gaining confidence in each technique . Read what you can to understand all this and keep in mind all the reading in the fishing world will improve your bass IQ but the experience and time on the water will improve greatly what you learn , when and what to do .

for that profile pic go to forum actions + edit profile go to my settings edit profile picture for options.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi Russ
Welcome to the site, I’m fairly new here also . I have found there are many Knowledgeable fishermen here and all are willing to help out , as far as your local lakes are concerned… time is your best allie . I always try and talk to locals when fishing a new lake, local tackle shops can be a wealth of information... what do they have the most of on the wall or the oppisite what seems to gone or only a very few left. . One thing I also look for is the garbage along the shore ,it’s a shame to be left there, but it also will help you to identify local hot shore spots… the more garbage the better the spot ,also look for new lure lures packages laying around … this can also help to identify what is working in that particular spot. Well-worn paths to the shore line are also a help.
Keep at it Russ and keep us posted on your progress….

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. I'm currently scouring the map of Long Island for more secluded fishing spots. I've found some but I need to make sure they are public first!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Great intro! My advice to you would be the following: go out and buy.....Lunkers love Nightcrawlers by the editors of Fishing Facts Magazine. It is a hard copy to find but, if you could get your hands on one.....you will learn plenty about fishing for bass and the like.

One of the best books I have read on Bass fishing. Time on the water will only help you to become a better angler.

There are no shortcuts.....time on the water!

Good Luck!

-AKO:pimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts