The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from a new forum member. Glad I found this site as I am spending way too much time on Google Earth trying to find some fishing spots. We just moved here from Philadelphia, PA in the winter and I'm out of my element (grew up fishing bass ponds and trout lakes without a boat in VA). Anyway, it has been almost 10years since I got to do a real summer of fishing, and I'm catching the fever. Does anyone have any leads for public fishing areas around Middletown?

When driving, I see people riding through and outside of central-Middletown on bicycles with fishing poles, but I don't see any real bodies of water on maps of the area. I lucked into finding Highland Lakes, but the other places I see on maps and think are fishable end up being private or restricted. I can probably schedule some trips to Harriman, but it would be nice to have some holes close by for short trips.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'm strictly catch-and-release so those trophies will still be there for you to catch :)

Thanks for any help, and I'm happy to join the forum!

-TheFishingNerd

·
Administrator
21,698 Posts
welcome: we have many members from your area, be patient, and eventually, they will see this post and respond.....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Welcome to the state and to the nybass.com community . Many can relate to your delema I know I can . As John mentioned there are many guys here from your direct area that are sure to respond . I live in the neighboring county south of you and fish primarily Rockland county sending you a on that may help you locally . All the success to you here and the best to you on as well off the water .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I'm from middletown and I usually fish highland lakes state park also and I tend to head north to Sullivan County (more areas there).

In middletown tho there is a big pond at davidge park.ive never caught anything there tho but I do see carp and small sunnies but it's all shore fishing to my knowledge.

I also use Google maps and earth to find any water and scout it. It's a little tough in this area cause most places are private lakes/ponds like you said or you absolutely need to hike to get there,or need a boat cause open banks just are scarce around the area.

winding hills state park is a decent size lake with boat rentals on weekends and a launch but that's highly fished on weekends

just outside of middletown/otisville area is the bashakill preserve which has all types of fish(bass,pickerel I've seen recently) but i suggest boating it cause the banks are almost non exsistant

in montgomery you can catch the wallkill river..(which I hate trying to fish there but that's a personal preference ,had a bad experience there as a kid)

In Circleville at the Circleville park you have a pond also highly fished

I'd love to be able to fish some of the private ponds in some areas that are accessible from a major road but nowhere to park a car off the road as not to cause traffic problems...I've also been looking into getting a small boat so I can also get out there and fish other places i can't get to on shore

Sent using pony express ~est.1860

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I will keep looking and check out the suggestions. I tried Winding Hills at the suggestion of a guy I met at Highland Lakes, but it seemed like the fish are highly pressured there so I probably won't return. My father-in-law's friend camps at Bashakill and I heard he caught "26 fish" last week, but I think he bait-fishes so I assume lots of sunfish :) But I am looking at that area as a possible trip; I have to shore-fish, but even if the fishing isn't great it should still be nice to camp.

My wife's family has a close friend living on Tomahawk Lake; I have been given permission by the friend, but I hear the people in that community are sort of jerks so my fishing there with her canoe may get her in trouble? She said there are really mean people there; one time, she went on vacation and someone cut her bushes out of her backyard?!?

Thanks again for the help! Looking forward to being a part of the community!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I fished a bit in the Walkill in Pine Island when visiting family without much luck (back in March), but I would like to try some other spots on the river. Some research shows that there is a boat launch area in Goshen at Thomas Bull park; has anyone been there and know if bank fishing would be possible at that park?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,698 Posts
The Wallkill River is close by. The Bashakill is tough from shore because it is so overgrown.
check: Bashakill is IMPOSSIBLE to fish from "shore": it looks like a set from Jurassic Park.....in fact, it is almost impossible to fish from a boat! LOL.....

I'm glad so many people are chiming in to help you out, but it should be obvious by now, that a small boat would give you MANY more opportunities.....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
...... The Bashakill is tough from shore because it is so overgrown.
check: Bashakill is IMPOSSIBLE to fish from "shore": it looks like a set from Jurassic Park.....in fact, it is almost impossible to fish from a boat! LOL.....
Doc, you are too funny brother . I did not want to bash a fishery but I got Bashed-&-killed on the Bashakill . My buddy Jon may read in on this trolling the site as he has yet to become an official member so here's what he'll get for that . He can never suggest a lake to me again with what he put me and my back through. Suggesting the Bashakill , how it reminds him of the waters back in Ireland . Went there to let the frog loose on it and I could've emptied my tackle bag but all that place did was empty the bag on me , as i got facked clean aff that marsh.
We parked one vehicle at one end of the bashakill drove to the other end with the bote and Jon had the idea the Bashakill was row only no motors for that winding mess of turns and turn back on itself to get ahead , yes Leo , it's more choked than any body of water I ever had to plow through just to get near the end and find boaters with motors looking at the two numpty plonkers rowing . All we got were dinks on the frog and lost jigs and plastics to what i can guess were bowfins .Jons still a close mate but do a little more research bud .
The Bashakill was picturesque Doc but I did not go there for a damn photo shoot lol although the best I caught was a nice screen shot for the banner for my twitter page . This place is not ideal for shore fishing .

·
Administrator
21,698 Posts
you know, Jerome, we actually had a get together there many many moons ago!!

one of our former esteemed members, Scott E. , was instrumental in organizing that one, as it was in his nabe and he was familiar with it.....

no one did too well that day, but, we all had a good time anyway....best thing I saw that day was Gregg caught this pickerel that had a small carp stuck in his craw, and even with that, he hit and got hooked by Gregg's bait!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, all. I would LOVE to get a boat, but sadly it isn't possible right now as we are in an apartment (long story, had to move from Philly quickly due to a family member suffering brain injury in an accident and my wife now handling their affairs). So we are in an apartment for probably another year or so with no space outside to store a boat. Also, moving from a large city, we had no cars and bought a small Hyundai; I guess I could put a kayak on it? I've thought about inflatables or keeping a kayak at a family member's house; anyone fishing from inflatables?

·
Administrator
21,698 Posts
well: another option: you get a jon boat and put it on the NYC reservoir system, where it stays there all year, stored for you...of course, you would be limited just to that water, but you would be able to do boating then....

·
Many Experts, No Pros!
2,069 Posts
John is right, you need a boat if you are a hardcore angler. Shore fishing blows and with a boat the possibilities of places to fish easily triples.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I was intending to get around to this in the off season. I am about to put my 10ft Porta Bote up for sale if you are at all interested send me a pm .

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome to NY, Orange Cty and this site. I live and work in Orange Cty, and fish mostly from shore at small lakes and ponds in the area. I can share some of my spots with you, just send me a private message and I'll get back to you. They are all legal, easily accessed by shore and have some good fish in them. I do work in Middletown. I always see folks fishing at the St Alberts Seminary (near OCC). Good luck and welcome again to the site.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thanks, guys. I will keep looking and check out the suggestions. I tried Winding Hills at the suggestion of a guy I met at Highland Lakes, but it seemed like the fish are highly pressured there so I probably won't return. My father-in-law's friend camps at Bashakill and I heard he caught "26 fish" last week, but I think he bait-fishes so I assume lots of sunfish :) But I am looking at that area as a possible trip; I have to shore-fish, but even if the fishing isn't great it should still be nice to camp.

My wife's family has a close friend living on Tomahawk Lake; I have been given permission by the friend, but I hear the people in that community are sort of jerks so my fishing there with her canoe may get her in trouble? She said there are really mean people there; one time, she went on vacation and someone cut her bushes out of her backyard?!?

Thanks again for the help! Looking forward to being a part of the community!

...yea those Tomahawk lake people can be idiots...lol...I'm one of them....just make sure you have your friends access pass with you when you are fishing and you are good...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha, sorry Cast-a-way! I'm sure she didn't mean everyone in Tomahawk Lake :) or else why would she live there?

Thanks kungajim! I'll pm ASAP.

I'm going to "try" kayak fishing this weekend, but I assume I will just be swimming a lot :) I have only been in a kayak once and assume staying stable with a fish on won't be easy for a novice like me. Oh well, tie everything down, take an old pole, and leave the phone in the car!

I made it out to Highland Lakes for AM fishing from shore and was having a good run up until about 8am when it seemed to totally shut down. Definitely a better time than the evenings as there are usually a handful of people there. But in the morning I had the whole place to myself :) Does anyone know if boats are allowed there? I have seen people on them, but I also saw a conservation officer show up one evening just as I was leaving ( there was a boat out at the time). But maybe he was just checking licenses or for night fishermen. Or morons shooting off fireworks (their trash is all over the path).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure if it's allowed for boats but I also have seen some kids out there with boats. I've never seen the Dec or cops come in there at all this year or just never did when I was there. The am fish is great. I usually get a few from about 6-8pm when I get off work and get there. Usually on the far side tho.

I'm pretty sure the amount of ppl there will die off soon as alot of the ppl I see are younger and with school starting in a couple weeks hoping to have a nice open lake again. This spring it seemed pretty quiet

sent using pony express ~est.1860

1 - 20 of 20 Posts