The New York Bass Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to Cohoes in early August. Between then and mid-November I went fishing 20+ times in 9 different bodies of water using multiple lures and have had no luck. I mean zero. In all that time out I've never even SEEN a fish in the water let alone get a bite. Any hints as to where to go and what to use? I'm getting frustrated with this area as it seems there are literally no fish around here.

·
Mission Accomplished
4,535 Posts
1st welcome aboard.

There are a lot of opportunities around the capt dist area. Sounds like more of a presentation/location/timing thing if not getting any bites.

Were you limited to shore fishing only or were you out on a boat ?

BB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

I'm limited to strictly shore fishing. Tried during multiple times of day and used over 25 different types of lures (some in various colors) with zero luck. Coming from downstate I used to go fishing 2-3 times a week before moving up here and had success every single time.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Welcome to the board.

That would be my question, where are you moving from and what type of lakes did you have success on? - This was a strange year in general, for me anyway, a lot of the typical weed growth didn't come in b/c of the ice downstate. The fish held deep structure most of the summer . . . That would have been difficult to reach via the bank, having said that, there are always shallow water fish.

There are a lot of guys from that area on here, I also fish quite a bit in the Adirondack region north of you and I can assure you, there are plenty of fish. . . . . What are some examples of lures, typical retrieve speeds you are using (Slow or Fast) and how deep are you fishing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I lived in Beacon. My easy, everyday spots were on the Fishkill Creek and the Hudson. Usually had my best success in the small estuary where the creek runs into the river. Tried a couple of different lakes around there too (White Pond, Ice Pond) and had minor success there as well. I never had a trip without catching at least 1 fish.

Up here so far I've been to various spots on the Hudson, Mohawk, and Erie Canal (lock 6 State Park area). Lakes/ponds I've tried were Tomhannock Reservoir, Troy Reservoir, Ida Lake & the Poesten Kill, Bradley Lake & White Lake (both in Frear Park), pond at Van Schaick Park, and Rensselaer Lake at Six Mile Waterworks Park.

Keep in mind that I'm VERY novice and went fishing in August 2013 for the first time in near 20 years.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't know those upstate waters but a quick google shows a few things, some of those listed are really just damned up streams so not sure what they hold, the res. you mentioned defininetly has bass but it's also a known walleye spot according to DEC and it's huge!! Covering it from shore takes time and with any lake that size you have to put in the time to learn the water and the seasonal patterns of the fish you are targeting, I am assuming you are looking for bass??? If there's a lot of smallmouth in there, they can head off shore in the summer months and hard to reach from the bank, they also move long distances, so unless you get lucky they can be hard to locate without electronics.

Tactics and techniques are really the key though, as mentioned, if you're throwing the right baits at the right depth at the right time of year, it's only a matter of time before you catch them, I wish there was an easy answer where I could tell you, do this and catch bass. My suggestion would be learn to fish a jig and craw trailer and don't switch baits until you can consistently catch them on that, it will work just about all year and pretty much all conditions, switching lures and techniques can only add to frustration and confusion, keep it simple until you get comfortable then expand out from there. :peace:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
One other thing, I took for granted, you want to fish COVER, cover is key. Weeds, Wood, Rocks, stumps, Grass etc.... Structure is also important, find some cover on key structure features (ledges, points, humps, channels, road beds etc) and find fish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The small ponds and lakes might have been hit at the wrong time of the year. Many lakes and ponds in the capital district are overfished and the behavior of the fish are thrown off. All of those small lakes are indeed overfished in the summer. The best time to catch fish in all of these places are in the spring. The fish haven't seen lures in a while and are not as pressured. As for the Hudson river and canals, with the dirty water, it makes it hard to find structure, but look for channel outlets and inlets where the fish congregate to snag whatever baitfish come out of the smaller creeks. Hope this helps, tight lines

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
One other thing, I took for granted, you want to fish COVER, cover is key. Weeds, Wood, Rocks, stumps, Grass etc.... Structure is also important, find some cover on key structure features (ledges, points, humps, channels, road beds etc) and find fish.
normally, the best possible advice, but Swen: he is only fishing from SHORE! lol.....

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Keep in mind that I'm VERY novice and went fishing in August 2013 for the first time in near 20 years.
So, while I was busting my onions fishing hard for those 20 years, nevertheless, I found the fishing from Aug through the Fall to be the toughest I have ever seen.....

a combination of bad timing, limited shore access and , to your admission, Rustiness.....

you will have a much better start come April....in your area....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew that typically its a bad time but downstate last year I was still mildly successful. Nothing great but always getting some action.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Tomhannock res can be an awesome spot in the spring. Especially for a shore fisherman. I used to fish there a lot when I was in college. You can find some good spots if you are willing to hike the woods a little bit. U will get covered in ticks in the process but it's worth it. Start out with some jerkbaits, four inch senkos, tubes, and inline spinners. You can catch some good bass with an occasional walleye in there

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site, lots of good folks & info here. If you're living in Cohoes and haven't fished the Mohawk at the access site behind the U-Haul on Ontario street you're missing out on a local hotspot. It is a marked NYS fishing access site and when you walk the short trail down to the Mohawk river you will be on a large flat shelf below the Cohoes dam, when the water is down you will be able to walk up towards the dam and fish a channel just below the dam. When fishing this spot you need to be on alert, as they will sometimes start the hydro power plant causing the water to rise rapidly and you will need to head towards shore, this is a nice spring summer spot, expect to get your shoes wet. Since there is not much snow yet you can easily go and check it out now for future reference.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
My number 1 is to find and look at the forage. Dig under rocks, go in wit ha snorkel if you can. 2 find the food. If it's 90 degrees or hotter sure the fish may go deeper but not always. I have caught monsters with sun overhead mid day. Fish eat and follow the food. They will always be where the food is.

Put a bobber and worm on and find the pan fish. Bass won't be too far away.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mike Iconelli has a great saying "Match the Hatch" do some investigating around the lake by the water line. Turn over some rocks and see what you find. It's a great way to learn about a new body of water. I've been doing this for a while and it helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Gear up for 3rd April, 2018 at Rensselaer Lake, aka six mile water works.
DEC is organizing a free fishing camp and stocking on that day

Thanks
Taton

·
Registered
2 Posts
I moved to Cohoes in early August. Between then and mid-November I went fishing 20+ times in 9 different bodies of water using multiple lures and have had no luck. I mean zero. In all that time out I've never even SEEN a fish in the water let alone get a bite. Any hints as to where to go and what to use? I'm getting frustrated with this area as it seems there are literally no fish around here.
Hi All,

Gear up for 3rd April, 2018 at Rensselaer Lake, aka six mile water works.
DEC is organizing a free fishing camp and stocking on that day

Thanks
Taton

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
Taton: there was no need to resurrect this old thread just to announce the fishing camp; you could have done that with a new post.

I am closing this old one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.