The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning NY bass fishermen,
I have some basic questions about fishing for bass in the Adirondacks. I want to be upfront that I'm from Pa., so if you don't want to chime in that's fine.
Here is what I'm doing and what I have done. Last year I scheduled a fishing trip to Canada for my son, a couple nephews and other friends that graduated high school. Of course we didn't get to go. So, I did some research and decided on a week long trip to Cranberry lake, where we camped and fished. It was great, but the fishing wasn't as good as I hoped. It was the beginning of August and I know that's not the best time to go, but that was when we could make it work. This year we are planning a return trip since we had such a good time. We did catch LMB, SMB and a few NP. These are the fish we are looking for again, but would like to simply increase our numbers. So, I've been doing a lot of research, and have narrowed down the search to about 7 lakes based on fish species, available primitive camping and trailer boat launch.
Here they are: Big Tupper Lake, Upper Saranac, Long Lake, Stillwater Reservoir, Raquette Lake, Fulton Chain of Lakes and Cranberry (since it is a known quantity).
Any opinions would be great.

Thanks, BH

·
Administrator
21,674 Posts
we have members from this region, but participation has been so low on this forum, that I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for answer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, Thanks for the heads up, and since I don't need to make plans anytime soon I'll wait and see who responds.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You may want to consider the Thousand Islands region, plenty of camping with boat launches available as well. Fishing is great.

·
Crass Angler
9,915 Posts
Do you have a boat? I've fished Upper Saranac, Raquette, and Cranberry. My favorite is Upper Saranac, but it's big and you'll do best with a boat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Special K, I have thought about the 1000 islands, but from all the locals here that go up everyear they say that I should wait I can go with someone that has already fish there. We will have 2 or 3 boats depending on how many people go, so I have that to consider. Especially since I'll be the only one over the age of 20.
Thanks for the input and I'll definitely fish the 1000 islands soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J Francho, Yes, I'll have a boat. Really, depending on how many go we will have 2 or 3 boats.

Thanks, for the input.

·
Crass Angler
9,915 Posts
I'd look for a waterfront site at Fish Creek Pond Camp and beach the boats. You need to make reservations far in advance, but this place is EXCELLENT if you want to camp and fish Upper Saranac. Your other option is golf course motel. I've stayed there too and they're cool about plugging in the boat from your room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J Francho, I have looked at this campground as well as the primitive camping on the lake. We did the primitive camping last year when we fished Cranberry lake. I need to get together with the other fishermen and decide which way we want to go, and book sites if that is what we're doing.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts