The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a left handed baitcasting combo brand new, used one time, I can't get use to bait casters. Anyway, it is a Diawa Aird rod, Med heavy 7'0" 9 guides plus the tip. It has a Shimano Caius 201 reel left handed reel, 6:5:1 ratio, 3 BB. Looking for a $100 firm, paid $150.00 for it a month ago.Pick up only 1 piece rods to expensive to ship. I'm just a spinning guy. thanks for looking, anyone interested please PM me.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If you only used it once no wonder you can't get used to them : ). Took me 2 tries and now that's just about all I use. A few spinning rods for really light stuff but that's it

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't give up on the bait casting just yet either ... it takes a little patience and a bit of practice.

I'm going to guess that you may not have adjusted it properly before starting. Make sure that the spool tension cap is not dogged down tight (it's on the left-hand side of the reel behind the crank), if it's too tight the spool will not rotate freely, if it's too loose the spool will have a lot of play & slop. The other step is to set the brake (on your model it's a magnetic brake on the right-hand side). depress the thumb bar and let the bait fall freely into the water, if the mag brake is set for the lure you have tied on the spool will stop turning when it hits the water. Don't try to load up & throw the bait too hard, a flick of the wrist usually is all the effort needed. The other thing is you need to do is keep light thumb contact on the spool, and stop the spool when the lure hits the water. Start making short casts ... and as you get more comfortable work on distance and accuracy.

You'll find that the bait caster will give you better control of the bait, no line twist issues, a more reliable drag mechanism, and thus better control when you have a bass buttoned on. I've eliminated all but one spinning rod from my rod locker. I can cast just about everything w/ a bait caster, even un-weighted plastic worms. Hang tough, sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, Ive used them before, this isn't the first time. I picked this set up because its suppose to be a good beginner set up got good reviews from anglers (the reel)

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
My problem was buying a beginner setup the first time. Then I got a few curados and never looked back. My first mistake was thinking mono would be better to start with. Then I tried 40# braid and was hooked. In my opinion when you get to 30# or below you will get birds nest that are harder to pick out. I can always get braid straightened out but I have just cut mono off the spool and called it a day for that reel. I'm no master yet but after using them for a few years I'm 1000 times better than when I started.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.