The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to talk to Ryan Coulter, the Aquatic Biologist for the Region 3 Fisheries unit/DEC. Seems like Ryan was MIA because of a new family member, a baby girl. Your excused Ryan & Congratulations. We talked about the long overdue project, concerning the making of Amawalk a C&R Reservoir for Black Bass only.(also Brown ones) The DEC got the funding two years ago to start the study, but being that Amawalk was always down for various different reasons the study never got started. It has just been learned that Amawalk will probably be down another few years as the DEP plans to work on the Dam. Hence, WE(me) decided to try the C&R research on a different Reservoir. MUSCOOT. I told Ryan that particular Reservoir has gone way downhill over time, & I felt it would be the best one to protect. Anyway that`s the tentative plan now to get the study started this spring.
We also discussed the Walleye stocking on Titicus Reservoir. The DEC did a shocking study again this past fall, & got some good results. In 2 1/2 hours of electro shocking they captured 11 Walleyes to 22.2" in length with 2 fish weighing around 5+ lbs. You have to realize that electro shocking only works effectively to a 6 ft depth otherwise many more fish would have been captured.
Anyway Here is a chart of the results

Last but not least, the DEC got the funding for 5 more years of Stocking Norlunge in Middle Branch. That makes me real happy. I love those toothy fish. I also talked to Ryan about stocking Walleyes in MUSCOOT if the Bass fishing cannot be brought back to any degree. The habitat on Muscoot has really changed for the worse relating to Milfoil. WHY? Nobody knows, but it has. The Milfoil has been replaced by Coontail, & I think that`s the biggest. Just my thought though. Milfoil is the best weed to protect Bass fry from predation, & I think that`s the problem. Just my observation & thought though.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wow, thank you for the hard work and the info, I'm thrilled about the continued funding for the tigers at Middle Branch, I really enjoy catching them there as well. It's a real shame that the C&R on Amawalk cannot proceed, but Muscoot could definitely used it, the bass fishing has declined so much in the past few years that I sold both my boats there, hopefully this will do something to restore it.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Wow, thank you for the hard work and the info, I'm thrilled about the continued funding for the tigers at Middle Branch, I really enjoy catching them there as well. It's a real shame that the C&R on Amawalk cannot proceed, but Muscoot could definitely used it, the bass fishing has declined so much in the past few years that I sold both my boats there, hopefully this will do something to restore it.
+2 - Awesome job Marty.... maybe we should send you some of the fees from fishing licenses as you seem to get stuff done!! LOL!!

Muscoot is interesting choice... safe to assume C&R will extend all season? Just curious if the ice fishing guys will find themselves under more scrutinity along with the mob-scene we find come right after ice out. Surprised you didn't suggest Titicus... but I'd imaigne many more fish pulled out of Muscoot than probably any other resi due to the size, amount of boat areas and the amount of ice fishing compared to the other places in the system.

J.

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+2 - Awesome job Marty.... maybe we should send you some of the fees from fishing licenses as you seem to get stuff done!! LOL!!

Muscoot is interesting choice... safe to assume C&R will extend all season? Just curious if the ice fishing guys will find themselves under more scrutinity along with the mob-scene we find come right after ice out. Surprised you didn't suggest Titicus... but I'd imaigne many more fish pulled out of Muscoot than probably any other resi due to the size, amount of boat areas and the amount of ice fishing compared to the other places in the system. J.
The whole reason we(they) suggested Amawalk was because of an angler co-operation study done there in 1979. I was one of the anglers with a diary. From the study we were able to determine that Amawalk reservoir contained over 2000 adult bass(fish over 12'). They wanted to do another study to see if that number went down, & if it did, request C&R only.
Now that Amawalk is out of the picture, I strongly recommended Muscoot for your exact reasons. That reservoir is pummeled year round, & most of the ice fishermen release NOTHING regardless of season. Matter of fact the Snapping Turtles have also disappeared. We really need some law enforcement!!

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
Muscoot does receive the most pressure it has the most shore access. But changing the rule will mean diddly if no one is there to enforce it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts