The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what did they do to the vegetation? It’s like it got hit by a nuclear missile. It’s like non existent on what once was plentiful. Anyhow, got out Tuesday. Weather was nice and winds were down. Scored a couple small bass on a black grub but boy it was like a totally new water.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
as you might know, that is the result of the chemical treatments to remove Hydrilla.....unfortunately, it has decimated all of the milfoil and a good deal of the coontail

·
Registered
4 Posts
A couple of years ago I volunteered to help clean out the hydrilla in Wampus Pond in Armonk. The group filled more than 100 large garbage bags. I did a rough calculation in my head when we were done and I estimated it at more than a ton. But all we accomplished was clearing out a small space around the dock. We could have been there for months and not finished it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My side hasn't been affected there's tons of grass and numbers of quality fish and giant slab crappie in 20 -25ft water off of the edge of the grass I feel bad for you guys on that end I hope it turns out for the better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while but figured I would stop in to see what the news is on the NCR. What part of the reservoir is this vegetation treatment affecting? I have a boat right across from Miscoot Farm on spot 20. If the vegetation treatment is affecting my side have the crappies returned to that little cove right off route 100? I remember that used to be a fun little hot spot.

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while but figured I would stop in to see what the news is on the NCR. What part of the reservoir is this vegetation treatment affecting? I have a boat right across from Miscoot Farm on spot 20. If the vegetation treatment is affecting my side have the crappies returned to that little cove right off route 100? I remember that used to be a fun little hot spot.
The weeds are still ok in upper part of the reservoir, BUT it doesn't matter because the DEP is in the process of lowering the water level, so you will not be able to fish there as it will be a desert.

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Looks like I'll be going shore fishing off the banks on the NW side by spot #1 and spot #4 for a while.
I doubt you'll be able to fish from those spots due to excessive and dangerous mud as the water level will likely be down approximately 30-feet by the end of this month. Fishing directly below the NE side of the 129 bridge (near area 13) would be the better choice since the depth drops off very quickly into deep water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I doubt you'll be able to fish from those spots due to excessive and dangerous mud as the water level will likely be down approximately 30-feet by the end of this month. Fishing directly below the NE side of the 129 bridge (near area 13) would be the better choice since the depth drops off very quickly into deep water.
Sounds like fishing from anywhere on the shoreline is gonna be a challenge. Any word on when they plan to fill the reservoir back up? Im interested to see what the shoreline is gonna look like after all the water is drawn down. Maybe spot some structure I try and fish over when they refill the water. Have they ever drawn the water down this far before in the NCR?

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
Sounds like fishing from anywhere on the shoreline is gonna be a challenge. Any word on when they plan to fill the reservoir back up? Im interested to see what the shoreline is gonna look like after all the water is drawn down. Maybe spot some structure I try and fish over when they refill the water. Have they ever drawn the water down this far before in the NCR?
  • Yes, there will likely be limited shoreline access.
  • I doubt the DEP will be refilling the reservoir – it will rely on rain/snow as usual during these type of inspection/work related drawdowns.
  • I don’t remember exactly, but NC was drawn way down in the early 80’s for repairs.

Over the decades I have seen just about all the reservoirs drawn down for repairs. This is part of the process as all the reservoirs eventually need to be inspected/repaired. This is where it helps having boats on various reservoirs as such repairs can take several years to complete.

I have reached out to the DEP for more clarification regarding this project and will post any updates if applicable.

·
Super Moderator
8,150 Posts
UPDATE:

The DEP responded to my inquiry with the following:

• They expect it will take a month to draw the reservoir down, then it will be held down until the inspections are complete, probably by mid-October.
  • The reservoir will it be drawn down approximately 3-4 feet.
  • They will let the reservoir refill naturally.

The confusion regarding the draw down level is based on the DEP newsletter stating; “The release from the reservoir will increase from the current 5.5 million gallons a day (MGD) and may be as high as 405 MGD. DEP will initiate the increased release starting on or about September 6th and continuing until approximately September 27th.”

So, as it turns out they will not be drawing it down up to 405 MGD per day – it will be for one day only, hence the water level coming down 3-4 feet as opposed to the projected 30 feet (or so).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts