The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping for a little help. I and a friend are taking the Skeeter up to Clayton next week for two days. I have never been there and have heard great things and some dangerous things. Can anyone help with navigation tips, bait selections, general spots to search, or any other ideas or comments?
I'm quite sure the main forage for smallies is the goby so I will have some idea of what they are looking for. LM

I'm sure are on weed edges and would most likely go for some of the standard fair (senkos, chiggers, soft plastics etc..).

We don't plan on traveling on the water too far, because I've heard it is not necessary. I would like to have a plan for the wind though. Places to hide from the wind that are fishable.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Go to gander or TI Bait store and buy a map of the area, they make a west, central and east section. GPS is very helpful. The river is not very well marked, the only safe place to run is the shipping channel. Be careful west of Clayton if the wind blows, gets nasty with a west wind from the lake to TI park. The narrows can be awful rough with boat wake too.

As for fishing, largemouths are not as plentiful as the smallies, catch and release is a must. Check out the weedlines in the bays around Clayton and Grindstone island. Theres enough spots there to keep you busy for weeks. Smallies can be found anywhere you go. Concentrate on the shoals and islands with a drop shot. Once you find a few you should have a pretty good Idea on depth and where they are relating to current and structure...

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.