The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my name is Danny and I've recently joined NYbass as my interest in freshwater fishing has grown tremendoualy since my college graduation in May. I was looking for some hot spots and tips for nassau and the western to mid part of Suffolk counties. So far I've gone to (west to east) grant pond park, upper francis pond, wantagh twins, massapequa reservoir, argyle and southards in babylon and fresh pond in fort salonga. I was hoping you could just drop the names of some places near me that I can try out. Preferably where the weeds arent too overgrown. Ive been wondering about the hempstead and RVC lakes/ponds and the freeport reservoir as well as belmont, ronk and blydenburgh. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome to NYbass! It looks like you have listed most of the well know Nassau county spots. As for Hempstead lake, it dried up about 10-11 years ago and the fishing has been slowly recovering. There are some fish there but it is hit or miss. The lake is also very sensitive to rain so it fluctuates greatly during different periods. As for the rest of the spots you listed do a search on the fourms, you can find plenty of information from other posts. Also use google maps and look for spots close to you. It's often the small unmarked waters that can produce great fishing. Also don't be afraid of the weeds that's where a lot of fish like to hide!
Hope this helps,
Mike

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Welcome. You will learn a lot on NYbass, just not hot spots. Post a lot, be patient and fish with whatever members you can. Them maybe someone will take you to a hot spot. Enjoy! There's a lot of good info to be found

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
Hey fellow Long Islander! Welcome and I can say you are already doing it correctly. Try different spots in your area at different times and see what you like and what works for you.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7951.html

Here is the list of lakes from the DEC. I will break a rule and help by saying Southards in N Babylon is meh... I been living here for 20 years and haven't caught even a sunny there!* Every other place is good though!

*= Of course others do well there, just not me lol!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses and tips. I can already tell Nybass will be a very useful tool in my new found favorite hobby. I wasnt necessarily looking for any honey holes, but just a little info on the well known dec published sites that I havent been to. I plan to start driving around and looking for some tiny honey holes of my own. Thanks again boys!

-Dan

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
DEC info is hit or miss. Not all of their "great place to fish locations" actually are. Also their species types are some times off. Caught smallies where they weren't listed. My advice is to buy a good angling kayak : )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.