The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So whenever I have an interaction with a company for customer service where I feel someone really goes beyond, I try to share with people. You usually only see bad things, but here are a few for the good guys. I've had three interactions with them at this point. I've got a lot of GLoomis and Shimano products. Probably around a dozen rods and reels or so at this point. Only had three problems over the past 10 years or so.

First problem was with a GL3 MBR785. Set the hook, must have been hung up in a tree, snapped the rod tip in half. The rod blank wasn't in the best condition. I'm guessing I damaged it at some point and that was the weak point. Called GLoomis, they had me pay to ship to them, and offered to replace.......but I asked them to instead upgrad me to a GLX 854C. They said no problem and only charged me something like $100 and shipped it for free.

Second problem I had one of the early NRX 854's, and had the reel seat pop off the rod after a solid year of hard use. It popped during a hard hook set. Called GLoomis and they knew of the problem, they sent me a prepaid label to ship to them. It shipped, and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked. They mentioned they have improved the epoxy they use on those reel seats and I believe them, I've got another two years of hard fishing on it since and no problems.

Last problem was most recently. Have a NRX 852S that I snapped the tip off while pulling the hook down to put on the hook keeper. I absolutely bent a bit too far, it actually broke in two places (woops :)). Called them, they asked me to send it back in. I didn't have the receipt and never sent for the free replacement wild card that comes with NRX's. They said just send the rod to them and they will square it away. I then get an email today from them saying they shipped a new one back under warranty, and included a wild card in case I break it again. Not only should this have taken my one time wild card, I didn't even have the receipt to get one......they replaced and sent me another card to use in the future. I couldn't have asked for more.

I gotta say.............this is why I keep buying from these guys. Yes, a lot of their stuff is expensive, but ff you fish a lot, bad things are going to happen at times with your rods. It's good to know they are going to back you up. Two of those situations were absolutely my fault, yet they take care of me every time. Just thought I would sharee.

·
Let the fish be with you
13,842 Posts
CHEAPER is better for some

As you said,expensive but good product, & good relationships with their customers. That`s why they are still in business, & people are willing to pay the price. My dad always told me that "cheaper" was always more expensive. You get what you pay for. Now, I`ll contradict myself. For me, I usually buy CHEAPER, HEAVIER rods because I`m just too tough on my stuff. The heavier walled rods hold up to my abuse, & I`m not sending stuff back & forth every week. I love the feel of the light more sensitive rods, but they just don`t hold up when I slam them in the car door or trunk.:laugh: Nor do they handle very well when I try to flip a 10 lb Pike in the boat. The constant blow ups of rods are hurting my hearing. So, it`s BPS for me, Probably should go to a heavy ugly-stik.:laugh:
Regardless It`s great that you got such good service.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you Marty. I don't have a locker full of NRX's, only a handful of the higher end rods and only for the types of presentations where I think it really matters and for the types of fishing I do a LOT of. It's easier too for me to take care of the good ones too because they are either in the rod locker or getting used........when your not putting them in/out of the car it's a lot easier to make sure they don't end up broken. I know it's different for the reservoir guys traveling to and from a boat.

I have a ton of budget stuff too. I do like the Bass Pro stuff quite a bit, but since I've been so happy with Shimano's service, I've gotten rid of the Bass Pro stuff and replaced with Shimano Crucial rods. I think they are killer rods for the $150 range, and the support is just as good as the higher end stuff. Plus Bass Pro is a good 2 hours from me and there are local dealers I can do over the counter returns with for the Shimano stuff if I ever need it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.