The New York Bass Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The recent Loomis thread resparked my interest in rod building. As luck would have it a gentleman contacted me from another site about some molds I am selling. I noticed his email was from a custom rod builder and I asked him a few questions. I'm going to post the conversation here, not to kick up old dirt but because the guy is brutally honest about so much that goes on in the industry. Forget the Loomis debate, just check out what this guy says. It kind of makes you think about what you spend your money on and if what anyone tells you about their products is correct:-

Craig, I'll be working my sponsor's tackle shows this month so there is no hurry in shipping the molds. If you are in Richmond VA at the end of the month for the Bassarama, look me up at the JB Custom Rods booth. -John

John, I have a few questions for you about blanks. I
build a few rods myself...nothing professional. I'm an
interested in obtaining the modulous ratings for
Loomis G2, G3, IMX and GLX. Do you have any idea about
them. I know Loomis does their best not to let anyone
know.-Craig

Craig, Your right about G Loomis and keeping secrets. Even if I gave you what I thought were correct answers I may not be right. I can tell you from using most of ones you have mentioned that the GLX has the highest modulus rating and going backwards to the G2 being the lowest. As far as the actual ratings I can't answer that right now. I will however ask the rod builder this weekend and get back to you. There was a good article last month in either the Bassmaster or FLW magazine about Gary Loomis with the same type of questions answered. I do know however that there is only three major blank manufactures in the world. Loomis does not make their own blanks and as a matter of fact Loomis shaves their blanks to make them lighter thus making them a little more brittle than other rod builders. It takes a little more care to own a G Loomis rod! I know and

I can't tell you how many I have broken from abuse and based on their price ($350 for the GLX 6'6")it hurts to break one. I have found that Jab's rods are just as sensitive at half the price. Plus JB uses a spiral wrap for the guides which eliminates any torque in the handle. The spiral wrap is basically a standard baticaster guide method for the first two guides and then starts to wrap the guides around the blank until the guides/line is positioned under the blank at the tip like a spinning rod. With the guides positioned on the natural spine of the blank and then wrapped under the blank to the tip all torque from fighting a fish is eliminated. It's a really neat method of making a rod and the production rod builders just don't have the time to make rods like this. If G Loomis made rods like this they would take over the market but again it's just too time consuming.

John, I appreciate the info. I was involved in a discussion
recently where an angler was telling me how superior
the GL's were in graphite, building process and
materials. When I questioned him on these facts, he
couldn't give me any information. I'm honestly
curious. I want to know why these rods are so expensive. I feel that no rod can be so much better than the rest to warrant such a high price tag. Of course they can be better but I'm just not convinced. I have a few HM-85 rods from Bass Pros shops
that I think are very sweet. I also have an IMX Loomis
that although is more expensive, can't hold a candle to
the Johnny Morris rods. Also, are the Loomis blanks
still made in USA despite the company being sold to
Shimano?
-Thanks-Craig

Craig, I believe G Loomis rods are still made in the US, although it would be my guess that some of the MFG-ing will be moved to a lower labor market outside of the US. As far as their blanks, some are US and some ore outside of the US. It's funny you should mention a conversation about rods and all of the mis-information that everyone has concerning the tackle industry in general. I've been working with JB for the past three years and every year we see a few "Know it All's" at the tackle shows who seem to feel that they have the inside scoop on everything. All of the JB Custom Rod's team is down to earth and we will tell anyone who asks, that we do not know everything about fishing. I think that's one of the reasons that JB picked the team he has now. If you are full of sh_t, he can see through it right away. I'm with you though, I still have a few rods that I purchased many years ago (and still use, don't tell JB)that are comfortable to me and work just fine. It's all based on personal preference. At the tackle shows we have several popular competitors brands including a Johnny Morris 6'6'' baitcaster to compare when someone wants to feel a known rod against ours. What is really interesting to me is what we have found in the reel seats of the competitors, including the G Loomis brand as filler between the blanks and the handles. We pulled a St. Croix handle off of a rod recently that a friend was having problems with (the handle was coming loose) and we found a toilet paper roll between the blank and handle. It was no wonder that the real seat/handle was coming off. We have found match sticks, nails, rope, etc. as a filler between the handle and the blanks! So much for sensitivity. I know that there are just as good rods out their as JB Custom Rods, however I know for a fact of the quality and workmanship that I'm using. I don't have to guess. Plus if I break one it gives me a chance to talk a little trash to JB, lol. He's been fishing with me and know how hard I am on my tackle. I just bought the new Shimano Calcutta's 200 TE DC's ($499/ea) and my wife thinks I'm crazy for spending that much money on something that I will tear up.

-John

Let the buyer beware-EW

·
Banned
2,304 Posts
Very interesting Craig!

Happy New Year!

Once again you blow the lid of any misconception or doubt folks have about rod blanks.

Excellent job my friend, keep up the good work!

Tight Lines!
Charlie:cool:

·
Smile, and enjoy life!!
2,160 Posts
interesting to see a builders perspective..
have you inquired with loomis to see where they purchase their blanks??
if there are 3 manufacturers of blanks.. is it the same idea as line manufacturers?? where you give the manuf your specs, and they build to suit.. or do you buy from a pre-fab line up?

the large "manufacturers for all" are amazing... i know this is done with light bulbs, mattresses etc.. just interesting that only a few supply the many.

·
Registered
100 Posts
it's the same with carpets-i understand there are only about 3 carpet mills in the U S - they make the carpet for the rest of the industry-easy to sew on any label that you want-

bob

·
OUTCAST BASS ANGLERS
749 Posts
Thanks for passing on the info Craig. It just goes to show that you dont always get what you pay for.

JImmy

·
Banned
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was true that they are made....assembled..... in the USA....only their blanks aren't necessarily made here. Robbie, I'm sure any inquiry to Loomis would be met with a polite "F" you response!

·
1,252 Posts
Actual info or more speculation? There are so many holes in that pile of $0!+ you could drive a battle ship through it.

Your right about G Loomis and keeping secrets. Even if I gave you what I thought were correct answers I may not be right.

" I may not be right"

Even a dolt could understand that.

Loomis shaves their blanks to make them lighter thus making them a little more brittle than other rod builders.
This a necessary step in rodbuilding and I could tell you why but you find out on your own.

I can't tell you how many I have broken from abuse
What's abuse got to do w Loomis AND when you do abuse your rod for $55 they send you a new one no questions asked. Then he goes on to try and sell you rods.

If G Loomis made rods like this they would take over the market but again it's just too time consuming.
That's why they sell blanks.

I believe G Loomis rods are still made in the US, although it would be my guess
Let's make the key world in large type.......

GUESS

We pulled a St. Croix handle off of a rod recently that a friend was having problems with (the handle was coming loose) and we found a toilet paper roll between the blank and handle. It was no wonder that the real seat/handle was coming off. We have found match sticks, nails, rope, etc. as a filler between the handle and the blanks!

Yea so what has that got to do with Loomis. He likes to dog his competion, which is even below Earthy's standards or so he claims.

I do know however that there is only three major blank manufactures in the world.
How many MINOR ones are there?

BTW, does "Deep Throat" have a name?

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
I agree, this gentleman is obviously touting JB custom rods.......toilet paper used to make St Croix?

this post is not going to stand the light of day, it is approaching the bounds of slander to a reputable company, I am pulling it out of here........it is closed as of now and to be deleted later tonight....

please Craig, let this thing go, please.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.