The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally scanned some pictures of my larest bass I've ever caught. I caught it in October 2004 on a black Jig. I had no scale so I don't know the actual weight however many of my friends have seen these pictures and guess that this bass was in the 8 lb range - Let me know what you think? If you look back at all of my pictures nothing I've ever held had a body or month opening of this size before.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no kidding - well I know its at least 7 pounds based on all of my other fish that I have pictures of that were weighed... Really in my eyes it doesn't matter - all I know it was a giant bass for its time! I guess I'll have to beat it at the hatchery!

Mark

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Could be an 8. Has a big mouth but skinny body. Prespawn would be a pound more. I have caught fish with big heads in the summer that go 6-7 that would have another pound at other times.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Here are some pictures for comparison.

This one went 8lbs even

this one went 6lbs 12oz's (yours is 100% bigger then this as the head size isn't there.)

this one went 9lbs 2oz's...this guy, you can just tell by the head size alone compared to all the others I posted, its in a whole other league. She had a huge belly too that this picture does not show.

this one was high 7's

8lbs 4oz's

mid 7's

so take your pick on which one the fish resembled the most as you were the one to hold it in person. I have alot more pic's of other big fish but those should give you a idea.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
man those are very hard to guess the weight because the way the pictures are. It has a head of a 8lber+ no doubt.
I did an on the water seminar this spring and we got some monster smallies. We did multiple pictures with the same fish and it looked really small or huge depending on how you held it.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I did an on the water seminar this spring and we got some monster smallies. We did multiple pictures with the same fish and it looked really small or huge depending on how you held it.
I know this. I actually made a thread during the winter on how deceiving fish pictures can be.

this is why I actually do not like the "extend your arm and put the fish in the camera pose".

for example...

if you take a 4lb fish, extend your arm all the way out and put the fish in the camera, you are making a good fish, look HUGE....looks are deceiving.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
One of the best shots I have taken. 1 Finger under the anal fin and arms tucked into my body with a slight angle. Sun at agood angle. This supports the weight of the fish well and also made it on the all pro rod site. A lot of time you are so pumped at catching a nice fish you don't even think about the picture. I put them on a lip grip, paddle to a good spot and calm down before taking a shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
One of the best shots I have taken. 1 Finger under the anal fin and arms tucked into my body with a slight angle. Sun at agood angle. This supports the weight of the fish well and also made it on the all pro rod site. A lot of time you are so pumped at catching a nice fish you don't even think about the picture. I put them on a lip grip, paddle to a good spot and calm down before taking a shot.
yup thats a good pic. Also, just like how you took your picture, it seem's like all pictures that are looking up at a fish, show how big it is. You see the belly lines real well opposed to a straight on shot that does not show the lines most the time.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its funny how different pictures makes fish look so big or so small... next time I'm out and catch a big one besides getting a picture with me - I'm going to have the person I'm fishing with hold for a picture as well just for comparisons.

Mark

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
like most have said, a beautiful fish no matter what the weight...

BUT: it is NOT 8 pounds...no matter how you are holding it...

but again, an excellent looking specimen....

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Mark

Just spend the $30 for nice digital scale and be done with it. Photos are awesome... for sure... but the readout on the scale is what seals the deal

Either way it's a very nice bass and congratulations on the catch

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Burnie, I have scales - I was in my little boat (Bass Hunter) fishing a place that I didn't expect to catch a giant. This was caught in 2004 on a windy October day - now days I carry one of my extra scales just in case..... Lesson learned after catching this well - unknown beauty!

I've had the photo enlarged and was used for my sponsors that year - but I never had a scanned copy until I got around to doing this weekend - I know from memory it was much thicker then the photo - but its now just a fish tale!

Looking forward to catch a true Certified Giant soon!

Mark

Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.