The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Location: Tournament - NNYB Team Trail - St. Lawrence River - Waddington

To start the story off I almost did not fish this weekend in our club championship. My engine had some parts break a few weeks ago which forced me to miss the 3rd NYBass fed tournament at Cayuga and it's still in the shop as I wait for Mercury to send a new exhaust plate. Which they have now moved the date availability of the part twice now to a later date. Warranty work.....they aren't in a rush apparently. That's a whole other story.

So....my dad and I have an old stratos we purchased years ago. A fish/ski. Not much room to really fish in it. Front deck is like 3 feet long. It's quite hilarious from a tournament fishing perspective if you saw it. It also broke down today and almost didn't get us back to the launch. We literally pulled in with 1 minute to spare.

Back to the fish. The morning started off ok. We had a few 3lb keepers in the livewell after our, what seemed like, longest run ever to our first spot at a breakneck speed of 37 MPH.

The fish seemed to be scattered. Not where I normally find them in the area I was in. I darted around to another underwater hump and after we worked the front end of it we drifted over the top of the shallow part. I pitched my dropshot towards the edge and immediately I feel a fish. I set the hook. It makes a few head shakes, like small smallies usually do. My dad says is it big....I say no. He puts the net down. It then makes a turn and does what the big smallies do. Just sits there and slowly cruises towards the deep water. I know right then it's a good fish. I tell my dad cancel that, grab the net, this is a big one I think. It torpedo's up and jumps. I see that its huge. I guess like 6ish in my head from quick look but regardless I know it's a huge smally. It then reverses and goes under the boat and jumps on the opposite side of the boat than I am reeling on and then comes towards the back engine. My dad swings the net towards it and misses...actually HITS THE FISH. I can feel it. Then it comes up near the boat again and he swipes at it again and misses. This time the net gets caught in my line. He has to pull the line off which is wrapped around the netting/handle. Finally the 3rd time I bring it up he scoops her up. So lucky. I see her. Know she is bigger than 6. Bigger than any smally I have ever caught before.

Smallmouth of a lifetime. An amazing fish. With a great story. Plus I got to share it with my dad...and my kids/wife at weigh in.

Lucky.

Few guys told me I should take her and get her mounted. They would. That doesn't feel right to me. I took many photos and all the measurements for a replica mount. It felt almost as good watching her swim away as it did when my dad scooped her up.

Thanks for reading

My girls and I

At weigh in

On the water

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
congratulations on a really awesome smallie !!! you should be proud !!!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
That bass blew my screen up!!!......That is the nicest looking fish I have seen all year!!!...Congrats...glad u shared it w/ your kids ...Great memory!!

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
Congrats on your catch ! Many respects for the release .You are a guy what the sport stands for . Thanks for sharing

" Let the big ones go" Rich Murphy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.