The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a motorguide trolling motor (46 lb thrust - foot controlled) that suddenly started "slipping" during a tournament last week. Slipping is the only way to discribe the response when I depress the pedal to move left or right. The propellor will rotate - but the pedal may move all the way down and only rotate the propeller 20% of the range of motion it previously had. I can feel something "lose traction" as I push the pedal - but I have taken the bottom of the foot controller and the cover off of the upper section of the motor (where the arrow and gears are) and I can not see anything wrong. If I push very lightly - it does not lose traction as much - if I push hard - it slips right away?? The gears align as they should and the cable is connected as it should be at both ends. I must be missing something simple - but for the life of me can't find what is making it
slip. It is very frustrating and I can't find a manual on line. Anyone have experience with a problem like this?

·
Registered
821 Posts
2 things are possible
the gear on top of the lower shaft is loose there is a set screw in the gear that mates with the rack the cable is attached to
or the plastic bracket that holds the rack in mesh is broken should be 6 or 8 screws holding it in place they break.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Charlie - it was the set screw. I had tightened it and thought it was holding but turns out it was "dull" and only gripping for one or two turns. New screw and more torque and I am all set. Appreciate the help.

Dave O.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.