The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know anything about these waters and have any comments or stories regarding the fishing

G

·
Mohansic

In the early 1980's Mohansic was a GREAT place to fish. Watershed Bassmasters still did a few jon boat tournaments back then and Mohansic at night was tops. George Burlage caught (I believe ) the clubs largest fish ever on a Norman's snaketrix worm. the fish as i recall was close to 8 pounds. I had a small jon boat there for a while but it was stolen. There are actually two lakes; Mohansic in the FDR park and Crompond which is up the creek a ways. Besides the good fishing then, you could almost always get an eyeful on weekends. Folks from the near urban areas would come to FDR and rent boats....row to Crompond and the girls would skinny dip and sunbath topless on the row boats. Good fun. Mohansic also had a great population of crappies. Gary Menchen can tell you much more. I have a map if you decide to go.

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
Do a search , and you will find more than you can read in a week. Just go back thru the last few weeks threads .

·
8,124 Posts
Welcome aboard dude.....

dmcvey,
Pete L. gave you the best advice, do a search. There's plenty of material on here, especially on Croton.

In the meantime, please tell us about yourself. Where do you fish now ? Do you fish from a boat or from shore ? You'll get more responses once members know more about you !

Thanks and welcome !

Ronnie

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
welcome to NYBASS!... i've fished mohansic quite a bit, but never could seem to find the big fish or the skinny dippers:confused: :mad: :firing:

but tubeking knows the water very well and several other members swear it has BIG FISH!... i like it because i can use my inflatable with trolling motor... as far as croton resevoir is concerned, big fish are the norm, smallies and LM, so find a place on shore and have a blast... better yet, put a boat on there!

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
DM: the repliers were being too kind: we like new members to say a lot more than you did in your one line request.....

please fill in the blanks about yourself and what you do...

thank you!

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
I would ask the other members to refrain from any other future comments in this thread until we hear from the poster....if there is no reply by tomorrow night, it will be lifted......

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
sorry Mitch. our policy...NyBass is NOT like other boards....it is an overall friendlier place where members actually meet other members or know other members....

new posters who come on with one line posts requesting information, especially as broad based as this one are frowned upon.....

When someone is up for the sharing and comraderie that this board represents, they come on with a much better first post.....for example, just look at the first post on this same Places forum a few threads down from here and see how that person greeted everyone the first time around.....I am talking about the post by John R....just look at his as a contrast!

on NyBass we return friendliness in kind with that received.....again, just check out several of the other new posts by individuals lately as comparison....

the same applies for beginning fishermen and younger people....there is a way to ask at the beginning.....

a 14 year old whose first post is " what can you tell me about spinnerbaits" will also be put on the shelf...

we have had many teenage posters who come on when learning and word their requests much better that lend themselves well to receiving many replies......

Mitch, I have overturned every single piece of paper in my house looking for my printout that had your phone number on it....please PM it to me again, we HAVE to talk this out, as it is obvious that you disagree with a LOT of what I do here.....I respect your honesty, but it is something we kind of have to hash out... I could elaborate more talking live.......

there are many boards that I have gone to where your posts are scanned before they even appear on the board.....if there is such a way to do that, I will talk to Mike about the possibility of scanning new members first post and hashing this out with them before it even appears on the board.......

·
Banned
3,510 Posts
If a new member took the time to look around first , we would avoid this to begin with.

No one wants to scare off anyone else , but even a beginner can make an effort!!

My own feeling is that a post like this is USUALLY just someone being a wise ass!!!

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
Dude,
It doesn't hurt just to render a respectful reply even if the poster hasn't done what you might consider appopriate homework.
I have freinds who are avid Mohansic fishermen, and this is a bass factory. Early season we usually fish for crappie, but catch bass on bad days. Worms and slop baits seem to be the key after that, though I have caught some nice fish on a spinnerbait.
As to New Croton - no matter what part of the reservoir you fish there are a lot of fish to be caught! April - July and September - November are the best months, but that is dependent upon the weather pattern for the year and YMMV. Spend some time and fish the weed lines and drop-offs, and you'll find fish, no matter what your technique. Worms, topwater, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and jigs are all big producers depending upon the time of year. This place is a structure fisherman's paradise! The only caution is, if you choose carolina rig, due to the sharpness of the rocks, expect to retie often. Ditto with jigs.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
6,547 Posts
dont fish mohansic it sucks

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
It doesn't hurt just to render a respectful reply even if the poster hasn't done what you might consider appopriate homework.
I do agree wouldn't mind see a better first post, but must point out that the thread was going fine a respectful request for more info should cover it :)

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
people gave respectful replies....that is not the problem

the problem is coming on a board where no one knows you and asking a very general question that requires tons to answer.....

as one replier said, show some effort....

I have been doing this for years now and recognize all the signs....

where is the original poster, he was asked to clarify, why didn't he?

if he was that anxious to receive information, and open up a dialogue about it, how come he hasn't checked back in on this thread???

he hasn't answered any other threads either on the board.........

OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH.........

trust in your moderator.....

·
The Fishuation
5,011 Posts
John, I totaly agree. It's like someone comming over your house, meeting them for the first time and they make a "B" line for the fridge without even saying hello.

Common courtesy. If you don't have it, you find your ass on the curb.

C'ya!:cussing:

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
john... we can scan posts for new members, but it will be more work for you... i say we let things ride... i think the best thing to do would be to have the forum guidelines appear as the person's registering, but this version of the software doesn't allow that as far as i can see.

regarding john's initial reply to this fellow... this is an area that i will defer to john's expertise... he's been doing this here way longer than me and he knows things... i too hate the idea of turning someone off after their first post, but with a respectful reply the new member should understand... and john was respectful.

... i often jump the gun and want to welcome every new member regardless of their post, but realize that john's way is probably the best way... i will work on enabling a feature where new members must read the posting guidlines as they register... i've already enabled the feature that requires registrants to fill out their bio, which should help a bit.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Go John and Mike !!!

John and Mike,

I think that you guys run a great board...Dont change a thing...Get the guys acclimated first, then after that is established, let em loose...

dmc --- Introduce yourseld and get aquainted...There is a lot of info here in due time from the best in NY...

pig --- Its ironic that you would take a stand at how things are done here after that "bitch session fiasco" you had with Andrew regarding the sharing of info on certain lakes...You are all over the place with your stance...

paladin --- never know whats coming from you... you seem to have a lot to complain about here though...What will happen next ?

Aristocrat

Mark D

G

·
John G response #1 was fine

I took no exception with it and in fact I understand the rationale behind the approach. No disagreement & no complaint. What I didn't think was cool was the follow-up warning; instructing others not to respond unless and until the poster gave the board a thumbnail on his or her background. I thought that was harsh on the poster and that was why I posted a response. I even asked MikeDinNYC if it were possible for the board to automatically collect enough bio info from new members before post #1, to avoid any mis-fires by new members. BothMikeDinNYC and I responded to this post in a positive informative way. The type of response worthy of a friendly board like this one. I had no idea it was this guy's first post. How could I have? (edit-Iguess I could have told by the data next to the name-duh! but it doesn't change much) I will also admit that I have trouble with John's autocratic style, but like I said it is John's board and I am just a guest. If I don't like it I can always leave. That would obviously make a few here happy. However, I think I can still voice my opinion can I not? Just saw a post from Branden who is also new asking an open ended question with no push back. Yes his bio is somewhat descriptive but there was little introduction with his post.

Good luck this season Branden!

·
Administrator
11,528 Posts
I had no idea it was this guy's first post. How could I have?
The amount of posts are listed under you name.

I will also admit that I have trouble with John's autocratic style,
That's why we call him the Tyrant LMAO :D

Thing is he's right most of the time, swoops in like a F'ing homing pigeon! :D :D :D

·
Administrator
21,693 Posts
Mitch: you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, the problem is, that your opinion is ALWAYS in contrary to mine and you air it all the time....many people have asked me if you have something personal against me.....

but forget that....first of all, you are going through a tough time with family illness, that can't be a fun thing to go through for sure.....

secondly: you are HIGHLY regarded amongst your peers.....and I am sure it is for a good reason....that being said, I feel that you can be a great source of information here on NYBass, and can offer a lot to most of the people that go on this board.....it is for that reason mostly, that I do want to see your input on here......

if we disagree about a brand of plastic or rod or line or whatever, that is a different story, but your beef is always with how things are basically managed by me here...as such , it is tedious on my part to always have to explain myself to the same person....

but throw that out and for the reasons stated above, I do want your contribution on this board, as I firmly believe that members can learn a lot from you and your experiences........

try to email and PM more when there is something procedural that you don't like and we will talk it out.....but keep your posts on here on the more positive side because THAT is the side that I think will benefit all of us and show you in the proper light that again all of your peers refer to concerning you.........

thanx..........

·
Banned
1,253 Posts
John. Of course you're right as to the poster showing little effort, and perhaps I even jumped the gun a bit downgrading the disparaging response to which I replied. Nevertheless, given what I have seen on different boards of this type, members tend to get a little possessive, and I've always felt everyone deserves to be treated nicely unless he (or she) demonstrates otherwise. I guess I'm a pushover, huh?
But cetainly the absence of any response from the poster is suspect, eh? Nothing like talking to a wall. LOL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts