The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Auburn, NY Bass Pro Shops on Saturday (8/31) and much to my surprise, they had the 3.5" BPS Tender Tubes in Melon Pepper back on their shelves.

Looked like 10 or so bags remaining. You may want to call before you go though... never know when someone is going to come in and clear out a shelf.

Very excited BPS brought them back!!! One of my 3 must have colors and baits.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
They've had them on their website for awhile as well. After you told me you got the text from someone who worked there about them coming back, I went online, and sure enough they were on the website. I'm stocked up for now, but might have to buy a bag or two whenever I go there just in case they decide to stop making them again. That color tube catches big fish everywhere.

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different texture, different color, different plastic, salt, size,... they are nothing like Zoom tubes or gitzit. Venoms are close.

If you haven't tried the BPS Tender Tubes.. don't bother (especially if you are fishing against me). You probably won't like them. LOL

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I think I have a pack in my boat - Jim might have given me some. I generally use Venoms, so maybe that's why it seemed strange that these were so special.

Riddle me this: do they out fish other baits because they actually out fish other baits, or is it because you throw them more than anything else, and have confidence in them?

I use Ragetail craws over any other craw. I have other stuff, like Pacas, Chiggers, etc., but the Ragetails get bit more over anything else I use. I honestly believe it's simply because I fish them so much, that in my hands alone, they are better than anything else. I'm not sure that success is commutable to everyone else. See my logic? They are a good bait, for sure. So are the others, too.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
All tubes are not created equal. Put a tender tube up against a zoom and you'll see a world of difference. It's not the only brand in the world that makes a good tube, many of smaller companies make awesome tubes. Also, the 3.5" size is not as wide as a 4" tube, and the profile is different. The color is what is special, that melon pepper just isn't made by many companies. Believe me, I looked all over the place for a replacement once they stopped making that color. Most companies watermelon is way too light. Hooked up tubes came out with a Dark Melon pepper Gold color for their 3" tube that is awesome and I've been throwing them a lot this year. It's very close to the melon pepper color, but with some gold flake mixed in. Something about the melon pepper color really works well.

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
I think I have a pack in my boat - Jim might have given me some. I generally use Venoms, so maybe that's why it seemed strange that these were so special.

Riddle me this: do they out fish other baits because they actually out fish other baits, or is it because you throw them more than anything else, and have confidence in them?

I use Ragetail craws over any other craw. I have other stuff, like Pacas, Chiggers, etc., but the Ragetails get bit more over anything else I use. I honestly believe it's simply because I fish them so much, that in my hands alone, they are better than anything else. I'm not sure that success is commutable to everyone else. See my logic? They are a good bait, for sure. So are the others, too.
confidence is everything !!!

·
"any fish is a good fish"
260 Posts
always liked the BPS tender tubes been using for a while - they are thinner and softer than most tubes! i have always fished tubes this past trip up to maine much to my surprise i couldn't keep the fish away from a black coffee with red flakes. BPS had some pretty great old stand bys - i still have some triple ripple jigs that i did well with also. - used to swear by the tender tube salt and pepper the original before it became neon salt and pepper - the older on was like milk and pepper IT WAS A GREAT COLOR

·
Catching is better...
4,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IRiddle me this: do they out fish other baits because they actually out fish other baits, or is it because you throw them more than anything else, and have confidence in them?
Agreed - You can only ever catch fish on the baits you are using. A guy in my club always used to ride me when I would say the "tube was the hot bait". He'd hit me with, "Well what else did you throw?".... Me: "Nothing".

"Well then how do you know it was the hot bait?".

Me: "Because I won the tournament".

I guess I can't really answer that question. But when the tube bite is "on"... I'm sure the people who have shared a boat with me, or Noel, or BassJones, or Purdue, or JigginPiggin, etc... those people will more than likely tell you something is different about the Tender Tube.

More often than not, my partners will wind up asking for one of my baits (couple of those guys have been Elite Series pros back when they had co-anglers). And more often than not, once they get one, they too will start catching fish.

Does that prove anything? Nope. But it certainly doesn't disprove anything either. (ie. same argument people always have about "scent")

When something doesn't prove or disprove a theory ... me, I use the bait that is filling the livewell.

·
Crass Angler
9,936 Posts
I'm the same way with my little Ragetail Craws. I flat outfish any other bait I've tried. I always go back. Only need them in Bama Craw. BTW, watermelon/pepper grubs on a light umbrella rig were the hot bite in the river Sunday. Two limits weighed - guess what they were throwing. I came in 2nd. ;)

Sub in your tender tubes, and I bet it looks like this, lol...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.