The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kayak fishing with my brother on tuesday and we were using a 6 inch floating stick bait. a bass slammed it but the hooks on the tail end of the lure side hooked the bass. it tore up the skin in a 2"x2" segment where the skin was hanging off the fish. the muscle was seen underneath. this has never happened to me before and i felt horrible to see this kind of damage to a 16" largemouth bass. i know it leaves the fish open to infection. i was wondering if anyone else ever experienced it, if there was a way to reduce the risk of it occurring without stopping to fish, and if anyone has any idea how or if the fish could recover from this type of wound. i debarb all of my hooks and really debated whether i should have eaten him. i am a 99% catch and release fisherman so i am hopeful he will recover.
thanks for any info contributed.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
I hope he will live to bite another day. You are not alone, I cry every time I hook one right behind the tongue... makes them bleed every time and they belly up and I feel terrible. Such is fishing. Personally I gave up on treble hooks altogether after the Get Together we had in May and Broski ahd to preform surgery to get a spook that was swallowed hole. That one lived!

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
any fish that is hurt bad should be taken home and eaten.either that or it will become food for other species.i know we don't like to injure fish but sometimes it happens.if you let yourself feel to bad about it then you might as well not fish.it's part of the sport and we try to keep it to a minimum but we do not always succeed.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I was kayak fishing with my brother on tuesday and we were using a 6 inch floating stick bait. a bass slammed it but the hooks on the tail end of the lure side hooked the bass. it tore up the skin in a 2"x2" segment where the skin was hanging off the fish. the muscle was seen underneath. this has never happened to me before and i felt horrible to see this kind of damage to a 16" largemouth bass. i know it leaves the fish open to infection. i was wondering if anyone else ever experienced it, if there was a way to reduce the risk of it occurring without stopping to fish, and if anyone has any idea how or if the fish could recover from this type of wound. i debarb all of my hooks and really debated whether i should have eaten him. i am a 99% catch and release fisherman so i am hopeful he will recover.
thanks for any info contributed.
I think we all feel the same about harming a bass, however don't be so harsh on yourself. Otters, Osprey,Eagles and Snapping Turtles to name a few predators can do a number on them and they still survive........

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
They can take a beating. I would say people that drag them through the grass and let them flop on the ground do more damage. I have caught them missing tails and they still put up a fight

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
Cook a steak on the BBQ add a treble hook ...after serving your guests removing the hook with a needle nose pliers ask them how it feels call them up in a couple of days and ask them . How is it healing?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Using a 6" floating stick bait, I can assume it has 3 trebles. Remove the center one and that will reduce fish damage. One reason why I shifted from the larger Husky Jerks to the X-Rap. Remember too....fishing is a "blood sport".

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tend to agree with Beer Geek - fish are a lot hardier than we think.

I read an article once about some Fish & Game guys out west who were doing some radio tracking on the local trout population. They'd catch the fish in big nets, cut a hole in their belly, insert a radio transmitter, slap a little surgical glue on the wound, and send them on their way.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it. The water has a bacteria that fish NEED to heal. As long as they are in the water, and feeding, they will heal if their gills/swim bladder are unharmed.

For example...

I was big into exotic amazon fish. I had a 28" Silver arowana that I grew from 2"....along with a big red tail catfish, tiger shovel nose cat, marble sailfin etc....all these cats were over 20".

I went on vacation 2 years ago, to come back to a flesh eating bacterial infection in my tank. All 3 of the catfish had it. 2 died, because they were beyond repair when I got home. However, my biggest guy (24" tiger shovelnose) had it the worse. All fins rotted off, flesh gone in huge chunks to the point I could see bones. How he didnt die, was beyond me. All I did was change the water a few times a day, turn up water temperature and add salt. Every hour I would check the tank, expecting he would be dead....but it was just that. He never died, and made a full recovery. He is now 30" in my cousins 400 gallon tank.

Long story short, that fish was literally rotting before my eyes. It was disgusting. I wouldnt even let my wife look at the tank, it was that bad....and he made a full recovery in the matter of 2 weeks...

so, I wouldnt sweat it. Nature works in funny ways. He will heal. Just recently I have been catching nice 4lbers or so on deep diving crankbaits....I caught 3 last week that had big chunks gone from their jaws. They were fat, and feeding heavy. One was also blind in a eye...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would like to thank all those who contributed advice and kind words. he looked as if he would survive. he swam off with lots of energy. it was just shocking to see a wound like that when the worst i have seen in the past was a small tear and some scales missing.
skeeter, i also have a 450 gallon tank with the large tropical fish. i love arowanas!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I catch them all the time with eagle claw wounds that are nasty and caught one this season missing half his head and his lip didn't even hinge.
With the trout and the transmitters, the hole is really tiny behind the anal vent. Just in the meat

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think it has something to do with the acidity of the fishes blood and ph level of the soft drink. The bleeders clot real fast. Just open the can or bottle up and pour a third down its throat. You'll be amazed at how fast it works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.