The New York Bass Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know,I love to fish for the minus fish (smallies) I'm looking to expand my bag of tricks. I'm looking to experiment early season with hair jigs. I've done reading and watched a lot of videos on the subject. I was just wondering if anyone could help with their own little tips on the subject either here or via PM. I've got 1/8th and 1/16th oz jigs in black, brown, olive green and white / grey. I'm using a 6"9" Lews med light fast action Ned rig special spinning rod with 6lb 832 tied to a 6lb flouro leader.
From what I've read and seen it appears a slow steady retrieve is the way to go, not impartimg any other action on the jig. Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I have tried them in the past with limited success.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
very short intermittent hops....it is a cold water technique so you don't want to give them too much action...it is NOT a swimming lure....

also: know your terrain: if you are fishing for early season smallies, most likely, you are throwing it in hard to rocky bottoms, in which case, you might be better served with a football head rather than the typical ball head you see on these things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts