The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are doing some product testing for a kayak manufacturer and we are looking for the best northern PA lake with big bass and deeper structure. The guy I'm doing it with lives in state college so we are looking for something about mid ways. We want to get some bigger fish on camera. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live about 75 miles east of State College and all the good bass lakes in northeast PA are in New York!! Harvey's Lake has some bass up to 3 lbs and on a week day early morning the water is fairly calm. The lake is plenty deep. Wallenpaupack has some decent fish but again this is no place on weekends. The Susquehanna River has some outstanding smallmouth fishing but doesn't meet your deep structure needs. I would go north to one of the Finger Lakes for what you are looking for - Cayuga or Seneca. Fishing in PA is just the pits.

·
Life is good !
3,757 Posts
Like any state in the Union private lakes are doing well in PA just have to make friends take them out for lunch / dinner

·
Registered
239 Posts
Great question. I was doing a search myself as my brother may not have that many days to travel to the Adirondacks from Pittsburgh for our annual trip. I was thinking Finger Lakes as well, but here is a link for some water south of your buddy in State College. Guessing at trip time: 2 hours south for him and 4 hours southwest from Jersey border.

Don't know much about these lakes other than the little that I've read. Maybe someone here knows a thing or two.

Lake Koon & Lake Gordon (sister lakes) Bedford County, near Berlin (south central, pa)
http://fishandboat.com/images/fisheries/afm/2005/7x07_07koon.htm

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pennsylvania has a long history of abusing the environment from totally deforesting the state for the shipbuilding and railroad industries to coal mining and now natural gas production. We have thousands of miles of small streams that are lifeless from acid runoff coming from mines that were shut down years ago. The reason the state is now so green is due to a lot of land in the northern part of the state that reverted to state ownership in the Great Depression when landowners went bust and reforestation from the CCC. There is some decent fishing but relatively few lakes of any size. Almost all BASS and FLW Federation tournaments by PA chapters are held out of state. Go figure.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Pennsylvania has a long history of abusing the environment from totally deforesting the state for the shipbuilding and railroad industries to coal mining and now natural gas production. We have thousands of miles of small streams that are lifeless from acid runoff coming from mines that were shut down years ago. The reason the state is now so green is due to a lot of land in the northern part of the state that reverted to state ownership in the Great Depression when landowners went bust and reforestation from the CCC. There is some decent fishing but relatively few lakes of any size. Almost all BASS and FLW Federation tournaments by PA chapters are held out of state. Go figure.
The current politicians have totally sold out to the gas industry.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have thought of a good place for your needs - Lake Nockamixon in Nockamixon State Park near Quakertown (just south of Allentown). The Nock is in PA's Big Bass management program with a 15" minimum and a bag limit of either 2 or 3 fish. Lots of deep weed lines and spring tournaments see plenty of five lb. largemouths weighed in and some big smallies. Beltzville Reservoir, north of Nockamixon also has some really big fish that hang out on deep structure - very clear water and a real challenge in the summertime. Many anglers fish this lake at night. I've seen 6 lb fish come out of Beltzville, both green and brown fish.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Lol, I love hearing the "old" guys talk about the "Pennsyl-freakin-vania" guys who hold tourneys on ny lakes. When the club scheduling is established, the coordinators think the lake will be somewhat less congested until you hear 30 boats from a "mysterious" club open throttle at 730 am.

Sorry, completely unrelated to the topic but I know a lot of the ny guys who read this will laugh.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nockamixon is a freaking zoo on weekends. Ok during the week. Beltzville is ok if you know what you are doing. It's poor for "chuck n chance it".
Go Fracking.....we have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We are doing some product testing for a kayak manufacturer and we are looking for the best northern PA lake with big bass and deeper structure. The guy I'm doing it with lives in state college so we are looking for something about mid ways. We want to get some bigger fish on camera. Thanks
Beer Geek, did you ever end up finding a lake to suit your purposes?

I'm headed that way this coming Labor Day weekend to my parents' house near Allentown and thought I'd wet a line. I'm thinking of checking out Beltzville as it's about ten minutes from the house, but looks like people say it's hard to fish.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't expect much from any lake in the eastern part of PA, it really stinks to live here and be an avid bass angler. River fishing can be a lot of fun though! Check out the Lehigh River if you're near Allentown, it's been years but I used to do well below the Main St bridge in Walnutport (not too far from Allentown). Most of the river is wadable, just be smart. Try throwing a black and chrome Rapala or a Rebel Craw. I took my son to the Manatawny creek near my house Sunday and we hammered the smallmouth and creek chubs, guessing 30+ fish on the ultra-lights. Biggest were only 11-12" but we had a blast walking the creek together.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We ended up doing the photo shoot on Lili lake. Only one bass but a few monster pickrel. It's too bad PA labels a lake a trophy bass lake then walks away without managing it. That's the biggest complaint I hear. Lily had some of the best cover but we couldn't find fish anywhere and some of the locals told us there were a few nice bass in the lake but not many. We didn't even see much forage.
Got some good shots of the new kayak though

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
PA Lakes

There are lots of good lakes in NE PA, They just can not compare to NY because of the size. There are no big lakes in Pennsylvania. The Pack is considered big in PA but compared to some NY waters it is small. You asked for deep lake with big fish, you just are not going to get big fish. Mauch Chunk is a smaller clear lake with some deep water, but the fish are 10-14 inches. The Montour Preserve is not bad, Rose Valley is up your buddies way, that would have been a good choice. Lots of fish with some decent sized ones. Beltsville has some Huge bass, just hard to fish during the day. My club just held a tournament on Tuscaroara, another trolling motor lake. 9 pounds won. There were a few limits. We have fish to catch, but PA just can not compare to NY. My house is half hour from all these places I listed. I live in NEPA. I much rather coming up to NY or going down to MD. But I still like what we have here. NEPA is 3 hours from Oneida, 3 hours from the Potomac, 2 hours from the BAY, 3-4 hours to Finger Lakes. So traveling up to see you NY guys is not a bad trip

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.