The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Terby
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, one of my favorite bass fishing techniques is dragging a tube or texas rigged craw over rock piles and structure. I'm looking to expand on that with some football head jigs but want a smaller compact jig. Many of the football head jigs I've seen are pretty big and heavy, but I'm looking for a smaller profile and 3/8 oz. I know tungsten would probably be the way to go for that but I can't afford those lol Any help would be great, thanks guys.

·
Terby
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In looking around I've come across the Bass Patrol Silicone Football Jigs, Dirty Jigs Finesse Football Jig, Dandy Bait Football Jigs, and the Northstar Custom baits football jig. The reviews for all of them have been very positive, but the only one for sure I know is the smaller profile I'm looking for is the Bass Patrol jigs. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Hands down , in my opinion not many if any can beat the SkinnyBear jigs . hand tied with wire , living rubber skirts , Qwner hooks and will custom for you to order . Have a look for the SkinnyBear Mullet Series Football Jigs.
My personal favorite SkinnyBear compact jig is the SkinnyBear Signature Pro Series Jig 3/8 Arkie head Owner deep throat , flip and pitch hook as well with the living rubber skirt.

·
LIVE TO FISH FISH TO LIVE
881 Posts
I love throwing a football jig. Personally I feel like the size really doesn't matter, head wise, but occasionally I will trim the skirt to the hook if im missing fish or if the fishery tends to have smaller sized bass. You may wanna check out the All Terrain Tackle Finesse Jig. Very compact and comes in 3/8. Also has the "rock head" on it for a much better feel of the bottom http://allterraintackle.com/products/finessejig.html

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I like the All terrain Football jig... smaller size and hook... can trim the skirt too... good price, good colors... easy to get...
You can also go weedgurard/ no weedgurard, pick up some heads, skirts etc and throw together your own... All terrain is selling these parts and looks like a nice deal... I've been hoarding some MTO heads for this purpose, just need skirts...
One more thing College boy... don't be afraid to put some pork on there... few boats floating around here in NY been won with pork...
I'm loaded with jigs right now...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
That last post just rounded off my top 3 favorite compact jigs . I directed you toward the SB Jigs because your mentioning budget restrictions for purchasing tungsten . like mentioned above you can not get more compact than a tungsten head jig . Next to that in size but compact I mentioned Skinnybear Signature Pro Series for the reasons mentined but I will in cold water favor a Bill Alexanders MTO 3/8oz hair jig . Best bought hair jig next to tying your own IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts