The New York Bass Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
If it was catch an release only for bass every outting would be dinker central. Bass would not grow to potential bc of over population limiting food source. This has been proven.
I don't disagree with the science of your statement... but personally - I'd take my chances with overpopulation vs. seeing lakes treated as profit centers and taking of pretty much anything with gills.

If someone wants to catch a few and eat - I have no problem there - and to your point - it can help manage the cookie cutters - but we are talking catching to sell.... so the more you take out of the lake - the more money you make - which I'd assume they are harvesting all they can each trip - not just what they need for a meal or two.

J.

·
Crass Angler
9,907 Posts
I agree that 100% catch and release only isn't the solution for this, but has selective harvest been proven on a body as big as one of these reservoirs? I'm only familiar with Bob Lusk and Tom Mann's research into growing huge bass, which is focused on small bodies of water. - what we would call ponds or small lakes. Bob's plans usually involve feeders as well. Anything related to bugger bodies of water seems to be from TPWD and their successful Share-A-Lunker program. It seems the illegal harvest on those reservoirs could be removing the big bass DNA from the gene pool, no pun intended. At any rate, with state funding as it is, you won't see the necessary actions and enforcement to carry out such an endeavor any time soon.

·
Administrator
21,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
At any rate, with state funding as it is, you won't see the necessary actions and enforcement to carry out such an endeavor any time soon.
EXACTLY! why it won't happen....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Not until one of these scoundrels poisons the water hole.... then, maybe.
Don't even joke about that.... they suspended all fishing in the 'Voirs after 911.... that would be the last nail in fishing in these lakes.... as the only thing easier to manage than catch and release is no trespassing.

J.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
At any rate, with state funding as it is, you won't see the necessary actions and enforcement to carry out such an endeavor any time soon.
EXACTLY! why it won't happen....
With generating revenue being a priority, the City or NYS should consider an increase in penalties for poaching. Like first offense is $1000 per fish and confiscation of the vehicle that was providing transport. 2nd offense would be a minimum of double the financial penalties and jail time. Make it public knowledge and hopefully that could serve as a deterrent.

·
Registered
913 Posts
a slap on the wrist and sent home isn't enough to shut down poaching.....seize the boat,car,fishing tackle and fine the shit out of them......

·
Crass Angler
9,907 Posts
I'm dead set against adding enforcement resources in order to increase revenue to pay for more enforcement. It's slippery slope on a downward spiral. They need only enforce the laws that are already in place with harsher punishments. If you want to protect natural resources, then the state should make it a priority, and set a budget that matches that importance. It isn't a priority for the state at this point, which is a shame, because clean water will be more valuable than fossil fuels in short order. Here's an idea: There's plenty of anglers that would gladly take up the effort that could be trained and deputized in order to support this. As it stands, a degree in both law enforcement natural resource management for middling pay is not really an attractive option to a young person. It's all very short sighted, as most bureaucracies are.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts