The New York Bass Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first time fishing was this past weekend. I was pier fishing in Brooklyn and managed to catch a striped sea robin. Small thing, not at all impressive to the regulars, but immensely rewarding to this city guy who has only ever purchased fish at the market.

I'll be in Long Island most of the year and relatively close to Lake Ronkonkoma. In order for me to fish there, I know I need a year-long freshwater license ($29). Do I also need a "Green Key" card ($24) and pay a parking fee (??)? Are there other fees that I need to be aware of? I won't have a lot of time to go fishing, so if it becomes too expensive, it probably won't make sense to invest too much on various licenses and equipment.

This probably sounds stupid, but are the fish in Lake Ronkonkoma safe to eat? I'm from NYC and noticed the warning that women should not eat any fish from the surrounding area. I'm fairly certain this does not apply to freshwater fish, but I wanted to make sure of it.

And what type of bait/tackle is appropriate? I've only used minnows on a 2/0 hook with a 3oz sinker and 12# line for pier fishing.

I apologize for the simplicity of the questions. I'm totally clueless about fishing and have attempted to gather this information from various sources online. But perhaps it's so obvious that no one ever writes about it.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
As far as I know, all you need is your freshwater license. I probably wouldn't eat anything out of any Long Island waters. Plus, like many other fisherman, I practice catch and release anyway, so everything I catch gets released. Bait/tackle is going to cover an extremely wide range. So many different types of fish in Ronkonkoma-panfish (white perch, yellow perch, bluegills, crappies), walleyes, bass, catfish, and carp. I would use ultra lite or light tackle for the panfish-small in-line spinners, small tubes, small swimbaits. Worms would probably work good for the panfish and catfish. A 2/0 hook is going to be much too big for the panfish. Probably something a lot smaller, like a 2 or a 4. For bass, lots of different lures work. Plastic worms, jigs, crankbaits, jerkbaits, swimbaits, spinnerbaits. Topwaters would be good very early in the morning or at dark. It's a tough lake, but there are fish there. Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What pier in Brooklyn were you fishing? I'm pretty certain there is no such thing as a striped sea robin, but there is Striped Bass and Sea Robin.

Most migratory fish caught in and around NYC is fine to eat, as they do migrate from other states and deeper waters and pass through NYC. Other fish and crustaceans such as Eels, perch, catfish and crabs found around NYC waters should not be consumed in large quantities. They spend most of their lives in the polluted waters.

Fishing the salt in NYS is free, you just need to register or get the free license from any license issuing agent.

If you are looking to catch fish to eat, I'd recommend ping upstate instead of LI.

Good luck to you.

·
Administrator
11,533 Posts
NYBass is for Sportsmen fishermen and we advocate catch and release fishing.
Besides you won't want to eat the fish from most L.I ponds

·
Administrator
21,701 Posts
exactly...there isn't a guy on this forum who is going to give you a single tip on fishing Ronk for you to keep fish...sorry....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Good to know that the fish in the lake is not recommended for consumption. Catch and release it is. I had no desire to eat the fish I catch anyway. Just figured that was what people tend to do.

As for the other post, I was by the pier at Owl's Head Park. I mentioned striped sea robin because that's the only thing the fish resembled based on the I Fish NY PDF file (page 7):
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/ifishny.pdf

·
bass addict
7,298 Posts
the state wants you to keep panfish and eat them.there is an overabundance of them.sportfish such as bass should be released under most circumstances.trout are stocked and don't reproduce in most lakes so they can be eaten.there are size limits and limits to how many you can keep.all of this is explained in the book you get with your freshwater liscense.the health warnings are in there also.different lakes and areas may have special regulations.ignorance of the law doesn't cut it if you are caught breaking the rules.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ghostman, that's the pier by 69th St, and has a memorial for 911 in the middle as well as a POW flag at the end. It's a pretty popular pier for Stripers, fluke, blues, and of course sea robins as well as skate. You'll also get the occasional shark too. During the winter, you can get Ling and herring as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
the state wants you to keep panfish and eat them.there is an overabundance of them.
Really? Is this a fact for all of NYS freshwater? Because i have a BIG problem with most of the "groups" i see fishing many of long island lakes/ponds and keeping EVERY panfish [and bass of all sizes,but thats another issue which i can confront them with!] being that its the main forage for bass in most of these waters..

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I have no problem with people keeping pan fish. I catch them in farm ponds and they are tasty. Bass I have an issue with. I watched a guy take a really nice bass out of a Harriman lake last weekend and it really made me mad.

·
God Awful Angler
652 Posts
QUOTED FOR TRUTH. DO NOT EAT ANYTHING out of L I waters!!!! Ronk was on the top 3 list of most polluted lakes in NY a few years ago. I still cringe when I see people carp fishing and taking whatever they catch (any species) home. Yuck!

Like BeerGeek said, we all notice poachers when they pull nice fish out and run it to the car. I've made several phone calls this year. Others aren't so nice...

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have a problem with that because if you look in the NYS DEC regs,there are BAG LIMITS for bluegill,crappie,perch,etc..once again,most of LI's waters that i bass fish have these panfish as the main forage for bass to feed on.

if an angler wants to keep his legal quota of any fish,well,i guess he can and i cant say jack,but when you see the same "anglers" there every day keeping there limit [and many more] for years,it will definatly have an impact on all of the fishing quality.same faces,and a few get busted when we call but the groups are getting bigger,and enforcement is not.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
i have a problem with that because if you look in the NYS DEC regs,there are BAG LIMITS for bluegill,crappie,perch,etc..once again,most of LI's waters that i bass fish have these panfish as the main forage for bass to feed on.

if an angler wants to keep his legal quota of any fish,well,i guess he can and i cant say jack,but when you see the same "anglers" there every day keeping there limit [and many more] for years,it will definatly have an impact on all of the fishing quality.same faces,and a few get busted when we call but the groups are getting bigger,and enforcement is not.
Don't worry, they will be dead soon from eating all of those polluted fish. I see guys in my neighborhood taking the catfish out of the hudson and putting them in the bucket.
Besides the few stripers and stocked trout I catch, I'm not touching anything from LI waters unless it comes from the store

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.